UBC July 2024 - Introduction / Having Coffee

Photo by Camille Brodard on Unsplash


Hello Blogger Friends, it's time for another round of the Ultimate Blog Challenge.

Looks like this is my 10th time attending, wohooo!

This month I want to talk about cultural differences between living in (or visiting) Switzerland vs the USA. Now I'm aware that both countries, even though one is excessively larger than the other, are very diverse, and it's wrong to lump everyone together. Also it'll always depend whether we're looking at urban environments or the countryside in either country.

Still, you may agree on most of my observations. 

I've lived in both countries, I've worked for an American company, and I think both qualify me to talk about how the two cultures play out differently in different areas of life. 

One more thing before we get started. I'm not saying one way is better than the other. Personally I enjoy both, each in its own time. 

Most of you may know that the enterprise I'm talking about was Starbucks Coffee. In 2022, I  dedicated an entire blog series to my experiences, and today I will use "having coffee" to point out cultural differences between the average Swiss and American coffee consumer. Let's go.

We Europeans think we invented coffee culture. However, we can't agree on whether it was the Turks, Austrians, Italians or French people. The fact is that they all have their place. 

Before we even go and have coffee at a café. let me point out, that there's a coffee machine in pretty much every Swiss household. Some appreciate a convenient capsule system, others want a fully automatic coffee machine that can even froth milk for cappuccino. 

Now we're ready for a café visit!

Swiss cafés are often characterized by a cosy and traditional atmosphere. Many cafés use wooden furniture, warm colors and classic decorations such as flowers, candles or pictures of local landscapes.

Photo by Waldemar on Unsplash


In mountainous regions, you will often find rustic, alpine-inspired interiors with wood paneling and cozy fireplaces.

Photo by Clay Banks on Unsplash


And another thing: the bar-like high tables with a view out of the window onto the street do not usually exist in Switzerland. I think it has to do with the fact that "having coffee" is usually a social thing, to which you meet with other people. You don't go there on your own, so there's no need to look out the window?

Photo by Ksenia Chernaya on Pexels


Switzerland is generally dog-friendly, and many cafés allow dogs, especially outside, but also in indoor areas  if they are kept on a leash and do not disturb other guests. They are often even given a dog bowl with water. 

If you ask a Swiss person if they'd like to have coffee, this is what they'll expect:

You will meet in a café, seat yourself at a table and wait to be served. There'll be a menu on that table letting you know what types of coffee are on offer here.  Typically it is "Kaffee crème", a cup of coffee with a small container full of coffee cream. Other popular coffee specialties are espresso, Milchkaffee (latte) or cappuccino. 

Whatever you order, it'll be served in a ceramic mug. There's often a miniature chocolate bar or a cookie on your saucer. Depending on the time of day - or season, for that matter -  you'll have a croissant with it, or a piece of (chocolate) cake, an éclair or a fruit tartelette. Notice the Italian and French influence? Yes, they're our neighbor countries, and we use not only their words but their best food and beverage items as well. 

Most cafés offer lunch, too. These can be simple dishes like salads or sandwiches or real meals. Often they are advertized with handwritten notes on a chalkboard in front of the entrance. 



You'll sit, enjoy your food and beverages, talk and have a good time. If you came alone, you may pick up a newspaper provided by the cafe. Sometimes there's even books, toys and coloring items for kids. 

By the way, if you sit outside, like in a street café or an outdoor patio, unfortunately, there will be coffee drinkers who are going to enjoy their cigarette with it. Yuck. It's been less than 15 years ago that the same was true for the indoor section as well. Double yuck. I used to work for a cafe during my college years, and you can't imagine how my hair and clothes stank of smoke after a long day at work.

Anyway. I think I'll have to dedicate a separate post to this unfortunate situation. Once you're done, which may be anywhere between 30 minutes and 3 hours - yes, you have read that right - you'll motion the waiter and ask for the check. 

In Switzerland, it is generally accepted to stay longer in a café as long as you have something to eat or drink from time to time. The atmosphere is often relaxed, and the staff do not urge guests to leave. Cafés are therefore popular places for extended conversations and cozy get-togethers.

Apart from Caffè Spettacolo or Bachmann, which was originally a bakery and has expanded its range to become a patisserie / coffee house, the vast majority of cafés in Switzerland are independently run establishments. 

Now, let's switch gears. 

In the U.S. "having coffee" may sometimes mean something similar as described above. 

More often than not though, it'll be waiting in line at the counter, ordering a warm espresso based beverage to go, which you'll get in a paper cup with a plastic lid, or an iced beverage, often enriched with whipped cream and sugar, served in a plastic cup with a straw. You pay, and you are on your merry way. The end.

In the USA, the interior design varies greatly depending on the type of café. Chains often have a uniform, functional design with comfortable seating and plenty of power outlets and free Wi-Fi to make it easier to work on a laptop, which is taken into account in the furnishings.

This habit has been brought to us by North Americans living in Switzerland and, of course, the fact that we have had Starbucks stores here for over 20 years. 

In general, dogs are not allowed in the indoor areas of restaurants and cafés due to health regulations, unless they are service animals. 

Photo by Mohamad Ilham Fauzan on Unsplash


And now to you, what are your habits and preferences when it comes to drinking coffee?

Let me know down in the comments.


Comments

  1. I am certainly feeling the need for a cuppa coffee after reading your post. I am reminded of a cousins weekend with my sister and cousins and we enjoyed an off-beat shop in Port Huron, Michigan, called Raven Cafe. Great coffee and relaxing vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having coffee and at my favorite coffee places I sometimes spend hours there, meeting with different friends as folks come and go. The artists and creatives often use the coffee shop as a way to take a break from our home studios and also, perhaps, to procrastinate. I am not a fan of Sbux, as I call it, preferring local small establishments here in the US. I love your description of the Swiss coffee experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to come have coffee with you in Switzerland, Tamara! You've nailed the US experience for sure. It's rare to see people sitting together, enjoying their coffee and conversation. Most people who are actually sitting in the cafe are on their laptops and if they're talking to anyone it's someone on the phone via their earbuds. I'd love to have a coffee shop experience that felt more like community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, hello! I should preface this by saying I don't drink coffee. But I enjoy going to cafes to order CHAI and write on my computer. I enjoy the change of scenery when I am trying to get things done. Going to hang out at a cafe was something I did more when I was in my dating era. The cafe experience seems really nice in Switzerland, and that would be nice to do. It means that life wouldn't be so busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be the one having tea! :) But I want to have my tea with you in the place that has a fireplace. I love that! SO cozy. And I wouldn't be getting my tea to go, I'd be at B&N reading magazines and looking at books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trying again Tamara, if I can remember what I wrote. LOL Welcome back to the UBC and looking forward to reading your blogs. But since I don't drink coffee, I'll be sitting back with my Starbucks Chai Cream Latte, my favorite new drink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this post, and as you know, I have much to say about grabbing coffee. Having my own business requires me to network quite a bit, and in the US, that typically means coffee and conversation. Over the last few months, I've asked people to recommend a local coffee shop they enjoy rather than go to Starbucks, Dunkin', or the like. Because of this, I've enjoyed visiting many establishments with good coffee and cozy locations. And I get to support local businesses too. I just wish I could bring my dog. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this theme, Tamara, and can also relate to both styles, having experienced them myself. As a retired person, I mostly have coffee at home these days (American-style), but hubby has to have his daily espresso at the local Italian Club.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 10 time attending and getting through this UBC. That's impressive! This is my first year. I love these posts of yours comparing Switzerland to USA. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.