UBC July 2026 - Astronomical Clock



In daily life, my schedule is largely dictated by others. I have to be at work, at the hairdresser’s, or at the doctor’s at specific times. At the office, job applicants, customers, and suppliers arrive for appointments. My son’s hockey practice starts right on time, and anyone who is late has to pay a small fine into the team fund. Even the opening hours of grocery stores or banks shape our routines. Swiss public transportation is world renowned for its punctuality, so if you are even half a minute late, you are out of luck.

During the holidays, however, things become much more relaxed, apart from departure times and breakfast buffet hours. Eventually, your rumbling stomach reminds you that it might be a good idea to find a place for lunch.

At least, that is how we like to travel. We take each day as it comes and wander from one sight to the next without much planning. Other tourists, on the other hand, follow a very tight schedule. After all, they have to check off all the important “must sees” 😉 They book walking tours, guided visits to churches or castles, or even medieval dinner experiences.

Ironically, one of Prague’s most famous sights is all about time itself.

Installed in 1410, Prague’s Astronomical Clock is the oldest astronomical clock of its kind still in operation. Every hour from 9am to 9pm, visitors - lots of them - gather to watch the mechanical procession of the Twelve Apostles appear above the clock face.



An astronomical clock is far more than a simple timepiece. These fascinating creations display not only the time, but also astronomical information such as the position of the sun and moon, the zodiac constellations, and sometimes even the visible planets. Medieval clocks like the one in Prague or the astronomical clock in Exeter Cathedral functioned almost like primitive planetariums, reflecting humanity’s understanding of the universe centuries ago.

Beyond their scientific function, these clocks were also public works of art and symbols of knowledge and craftsmanship. Their intricate systems of gears and rotating discs could track celestial movements in real time without electricity. They showed solar time, lunar phases, the sun’s position in the zodiac, and sometimes even sidereal time based on the stars.

Interestingly, astronomical clocks also reveal the strange relationship modern society has with time. Because they are based on the actual position of the sun, they do not automatically align with daylight saving time. During the summer months, when our watches “spring forward” by one hour, the astronomical clock effectively appears to run one hour behind civilian time. When the sun reaches its highest point in the sky at true noon, our watches already read 1 p.m.

That made me wonder why telling time was considered so important in medieval times in the first place.

Apparently, back then, timekeeping was essential for religious, agricultural, and later economic reasons. Monastic communities needed to know the exact times for their daily prayers, which structured the entire day. As cities grew and trade became more important, merchants and craftsmen also needed reliable ways to regulate working hours and business activities. Society gradually shifted from following the rhythm of natural daylight to following the clock.

So perhaps people have always tried to make the most of the twenty four hours in a day.

As for us, we felt that we used our time in Prague rather well precisely because we did not schedule every moment. Sometimes the best travel experiences happen when you simply wander and allow the city to surprise you.

How about you? Do you prefer a carefully planned itinerary when exploring a new place, or do you like to discover things spontaneously?


Comments

  1. I have such fond memories of my trip to Prague. For me the travel was completely spontaneous as I had almost a week to simply roam around and be spontaneous and go where I pleased at the time. But I did have something planned as friends were scheduled to meet me there in the weekend, so that part was organised and I had fun going out with my friends to dinner and dancing and socialising. But the sightseeing by myself was completely laid back and unplanned. I think it's ideal to have a combination of both. Great photo of the iconic clock too :) alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the astronomical clock! It amazes me on the way things were down so many years ago and precise. As for me I prefer the spontaneous exploring. The only time we would "plan" was if we needed to make a reservation like on my trip in May when reservations were needed for the train trip through the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful!!! I love clocks and this one has got to go on my list! I like to have a mixture of days. Some casual or maybe one thing planned and then the rest to just wander and be spontaneous. I was never one for organized tour groups where they take you everywhere and you just follow along like a lost puppy. Sometimes it's the things we experience when it wasn't planned that remains in our memories long after the planned tours, etc. Thanks for sharing the beautiful clock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Prague Astronomical Clock is magnificent! But talking about how I prefer to travel, it really depends on the kind of place I go. If it's a city break, we'll try to see the sights we're interested in, and even research places that are a food "must try". But I hate rushing. Now, if it's a beach holiday, we eat when we're hungry! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much like you, we don’t have a tight schedule when we travel. We have a list of things we’d like to see while we’re there but it’s not regulated by time … except for that clock … we needed too be there at a certain time to watch it go off. 😉 In fact, we saw it more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don’t travel with a strict itinerary. We have a list of places we would like to see at some point while we’re there. Except for that clock … we had to be there at a certain time to watch it go off. In fact I think we saw it more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That astronomical clock looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to discover things spontaneously, and wander around. That clock is amazing! I've never heard of an astronomical clock before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know about this clock but it's very cool. I am punctual. I get there early to be on time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to have a schedule when I travel. Otherwise I might not get anywhere or do anything. Most of my travels are on guided tours so I do have to follow a schedule. That's one impressive clock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This clock is very complex and beautiful! When I go to a new city, I usually like to take a general tour, then target one castle or museum for an afternoon exploration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.