UBC July 2026 - Prague Reflections



It’s now been over three months since our trip to Prague.

What has made the biggest impression on me?

Even as relatively unprepared tourists with no knowledge of Czech whatsoever, we found it easy to find our way around. Google Maps certainly helped, of course.

The old town is car free, which makes it easy to reach all the sights on foot. The historic center is also very compact, so walking is really the main way to experience it properly. To get to places further afield, we made use of the efficient and affordable public transport system.

In tourist areas, enough English is spoken for you to get by easily. You can also manage well with credit cards, although in some smaller places cash is still useful.

Four days was a good length of stay for seeing the main sights without feeling rushed. Thanks to the fact that the weather was phenomenal on three of those days, we had an especially lovely experience.

Even for someone like me, who used to sit by the window in history lessons at school, it still managed to spark an interest in what happened back then. In particular, I tried to imagine what it must have been like to live in a communist country, where so many things we Swiss take for granted had to be fought hard for.

The architecture in Prague is beyond beautiful. Even away from the main landmarks, just walking through the streets and looking at ordinary buildings was impressive.



The information I had heard about Czech specialties had made me slightly nervous beforehand. Apparently they enjoy dishes like rabbit kidneys, lamb knee and pork knuckles. Looking back, though, I can say that I ate very well every day. I am not a beer drinker, but if I were, I am sure I would have enjoyed trying different pivo.

Since the pandemic, we have not travelled to North America and have instead focused on European destinations. Considering just how beautiful Prague is, we found it offered very good value for money compared to cities such as Paris or London, especially when it came to hotels, food, and general expenses.

Overtourism and social media are a difficult combination. It leads to crowds gathering even in unexpected places, which is not only inconvenient for travelers but also for locals. 

We felt safe at all times. Yes, we had read about scams and pickpockets, but if you walk around with awareness and common sense, you are absolutely fine in my opinion.

Easter is huge in Prague. The Easter markets stretch over several weeks and add a festive atmosphere throughout the city.

Ice hockey is also huge in Czechia, and we got to witness that passion firsthand in Prague.

Franz Kafka is everywhere in Prague. His name and legacy are present throughout the city and it adds an interesting cultural layer to the experience. 



You've been reading my posts, and I hope it made you almost feel as if you were part of our trip. What stood out to you?



Comments

  1. I can relate to looking out the window in history class. And indeed, the architecture *is* beautiful! That's one of the things that has stood out to me - the architecture is so lovely. It's hard to remember right this minute, but I enjoyed reading about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be nice living in Europe and being able to visit all kinds of different countries and cultures. I'm in Canada and everything is spread out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.