Top Ten Thursday - Thankful

 Photo by Patrick Fore on Unsplash
Welcome to Top Ten Thursday!


Only one week till Thanksgiving. Time to list the top ten things you're grateful for!

In a world where people yell because there is no WIFI or fight about a parking space it's all the more important to step back and reflect on our many blessings. I tried to do so with a pinch of humor in my everyday life. Here goes in no particular order:


  1. Today I was at the recycling center. It was a dull, gray November day, and I had just seen a gooooorgeous sunrise picture that my friend Lucy from San Diego posted. I decided I was grateful for fog and 8° C (= 46° F). Why? No wasps at the glass collecting container! It's all a matter of perception. Also I'm actually grateful for my country's environmental consciousness. 
    Photo Credit: Lucy Davis
  2. I went there (and grocery shopping) while Colin stayed home alone doing home work. He's 10, pretty responsible and perfectly able to handle my being gone for an hour. He's a great kid in general, too. Actually he's the greatest. Then again I'm biased. Did I tell you about his immigration interview? They can be scary. The officer asked him a bunch of questions. First time to Canada? How many visits, where did you go, what did you see, what's your favorite hockey team,... Mind you, Colin's first language is Swiss German, but he answered each and every question in impeccable English. 
  3. Can't talk about my son without being appreciative of my smart and hard working husband who's also my boss at work which can cause friction at times but also fosters understanding and support. Plus he has to grant me flexible working hours - unless he wants to do the hockey run...
  4. Speaking of. Obviously I'm most grateful for my car. Not only is it driving without ever breaking down - it's also a beauty!
  5. As a Hockey Mom I'm grateful for my washer and dryer - even though the dryer has been giving me some grief. Had a technician over who - with the most frowning look - extracted a third lint filter that was totally hidden; I only knew about two, and I have diligently been cleaning them. It is not salvageable so he ordered a new one for me. It is expected to arrive tomorrow. I have a friend working at this particular home appliance business. She's going to bring it to our dinner.
  6. Our training schedule is usually being published reasonably in advance and has been pretty stable lately. About once per season I get a Friday off hockey practice. Most grateful for that night off. Looking forward to above get-together!
  7. Stability and safety - looking at the U.S. and their poor excuse of a president I can't be thankful enough for our down to earth government, mostly decent citizens and smoothly running services. I know we're not famous for customer service, and I complain about Switzerland being on the dull side, but hey, can't have it all. It's up to me to spice things up, and I think I'm doing a good job at it.
  8. Family and friends! As you may know, after living and working in Hockey Town and California, I moved back to my home town 17 years ago - God, I'm old... The good news is, both of my parents are still alive and well, and some of my best school friends are still around or moved back like I did, so from time to time we get to enjoy a night out, and it's good to have familiar faces around me. I'll probably appreciate this the older I get. 
  9. My health. As we learned, I'm old-ish. People my age die of cancer left and right. I certainly don't actively do enough for my health, but at least I'm not actively damaging it either. Apart from insomnia I'm doing remarkably well.
  10. Coffee - it had to be on the list. If you toss and turn for hours, finally get up to read or write or watch something, eventually fall asleep only to be waken up by the cruel alarm, you have one silver lining. You're only minutes away from freshly brewed coffee. OK, you have to make it yourself, but still. Pretty great! 

All right, that's it. I did a similar post a few years ago, and I didn't look at it on purpose. Pretty sure they are similar, though, see for yourself.

What are the people and things you are grateful for? Let me know in the comments below or better yet - link up your own post! Happy Thanksgiving, if you are celebrating! Enjoy great company and yummy food.

What's next?

For those of us who do Elf on the Shelf (even if you don't!) the season kicks off November 22nd. List 10 reasons why you (don't) love this tradition or 10 creative hiding spots for the Elf. Sign up here.



On November 29 it may be getting hectic in your life. Don't forget to stop and smell the gingerbread, though. List 10 things that made you smile, relax, be mindful,... these days.
Sign up here.





Comments