Use Your Words - Generation Jeopardy



Today’s post is a writing challenge. This is how it works: participating bloggers picked 4 – 6 words or short phrases for someone else to craft into a post. All words must be used at least once, and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words. That’s the challenge, here’s a fun twist; no one who’s participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them. Until now. My words are:


The Chase ~ Celebrity Wheel of Fortune ~ blurry clock ~ Ken Jennings ~ litter box


They were submitted by: The Crazy Mama Llama - Thank you, Sarah!

Lately I got to thinking how times have changed.

Looking at my 12 year old son, I feel like I grew up in a completely different lifetime.

  • I had a piggy bank and a wallet - he has a mobile phone that he uses to pay.
  • I looked up stuff in an encyclopaedia - he googles it. Better yet, he can ask Siri.
  • I diligently studied vocabulary in foreign languages - he uses simple apps to translate.
  • I arranged my play dates in person while at school or used the one landline at our house and made sure to be in the right place at the right time - he texts his friends and if necessary catches up if they're already someplace else.
  • If I wanted to listen to my favorite song I had to wait and hope it was going to be played on the radio - he's got Spotify.
  • Amazon used to be a river in South America - he's ordering off Amazon
  • My media collection consisted in books, letters, calendars, address booklets, dictionaries, records and cassette tapes and took up a helluva lot of space in my room - again, he's got a smartphone. 
  • I took pictures using a camera, took my film roll to the market, filled in a paper envelope and waited a minimum of two days until I got to see my printed pictures - he plays around on his cell phone camera.
  • If I needed to find out what time it was but didn't have a watch, I had to be on the lookout for any blurry clock - his phone will tell the time in any given time zone.
  • I looked up an address on a map and if necessary made notes on paper - he uses google maps and the guidance option.
  • If I wanted a pet cat I might have been put off by the fact that Mom told me i needed to clean out the litter box - he doesn't need a pet; he'll just apply a Zoom filter.
  • If anything happened in the world, we had to wait until the next day's newspaper - he learns about it in real time.
  • I met a potential love interest at a party or at work - he will probably just swipe to the right.
  • When I was done at work I went home and was done for the day - he'll probably check e-mail and gets more work done after dinner and well into the evening.
  • People who were famous back then actually had a special talent - these days pretty much anyone may become a celebrity of sorts. You'll even get your own Wheel of Fortune Show.
  • If I wanted to watch a show I had to make sure I was home - he'll stream it whenever he pleases.
  • Back then we thought The Chase and Jeopardy, hosted by Ken Jennings, were the ultimate proof you were super smart - today you can just be a teenager.

Let's play a round of generation jeopardy and see how you measure up:


Hint: the more points you score, the older you are OR the greater your common knowledge is!


In your opinion what are the major changes life in the 2020s bears as opposed to your growing up? Let me know below, and please don't leave before checking out my blogger friends' posts:   


                                                                                                                                                                                  

Comments

  1. I was aware of all of the changes, of course, but when you see them listed like that . . .
    Although I personally love the ease of finding information on the internet, and staying in touch with people on social media, and being up to the minute with news, I do worry about it for the generation who will grow up not needing to learn new languages, navigate a map, even do math. Critical thinking is necessary for progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know when you put it like that it's amazing how different things are now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then you have people like me...I grew up with doing things the old fashion way and learned to do things this new way. I definitely prefer the new way. I would literally be lost without my Onstar in my car and since discovering how awesome XM Satelite radio was, I don't like listening to local broadcast anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, we used to dial popcorn on a rotary phone to find out what time it was. LOL. Great use of the words!

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, for making me feel my age, not old just my age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, how the world has changed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.