A - Z 2021: Quicker than Lager turns to Piss



Welcome back to A - Z. Yesterday we made sure we don't adorn yourselves with borrowed Plumes - later that day I came across another fantastic beer phrase over at Crackerberries' blog: 

"A lot of people are a few cans short of a six pack"

This made me laugh real hard. Well, P was yesterday, today it's

Q is for 

Quicker than lager turns to piss

I was going to use "Quality over Quantity", but where is the fun in that. Let's enjoy a quick post and then go out for a beer. Oh, wait, pubs are still closed. 

Edit: restaurants were still closed when I originally wrote this. Great news, our government has decided it's OK to open the outdoor terraces and patios as of this week! So that's a great start!

We did have a little St. Patrick's Day celebration though. We've been doing this for nine years now, and I still feel like we're the only Swiss people observing this fun holiday. Barely anyone even knows about it, except the English speaking expats of course. So there is no stuff we can buy at the local stores, but that's OK, I always manage. The internet has been my best friend.

So today's saying stands for things that happen very rapidly, and I guess it can be taken literally as well. I am not a beer drinker, but I understand it's similar to coffee. Soon after enjoying your beverage, you need to go to the bathroom. 

In order to still keep this post somewhat beer-themed, let me tell you about the cake you can see in the picture. While it doesn't contain lager, it was made using Guinness. You heard correctly, there is Irish dry stout in this chocolate cake. 


Donal Skehan is my go-to chef when it comes to Irish food. If you don't know him, check out his YouTube channel. 

The recipe for this Chocolate Guinness Cake is not for you if you're watching your carbs or fats though. There is a lot of butter and sugar not only in the cake, but in the frosting as well. 

I'm not sure if you're supposed to drink the leftover of your Guinness along with enjoying this lovely cake, either way, my friend and I prefer our champagne, and we were very happy with it.

Let me answer some questions that may have come up while reading this post (because I was wondering myself):

What's the reason beer and coffee make you pee so quickly?

The primary mechanism by which alcohol increases diuresis (fancy word for urination) is through inhibition of the effect of antidiuretic hormone vasopressin (or anti-diuretic hormone ADH) on the kidneys, thereby inducing diuresis and a dehydrating effect, causing headaches and nausea later. (Taken from this article)

What's worse:  Caffeine is thought to have a direct effect on the bladder's smooth muscle, and I think that's sadly true. 

Better think twice before ordering a "Black & Brew Coffee Stout" = coffee beer ;-)

What is "lager" and what other types of beer are there?

It's all about the type of yeast used during fermentation. Lagers are made with yeast that ferments at the bottom of the beer mixture, whereas the yeast that is used in ales ferments throughout the beer and settles at the top of the liquid. It has a higher tolerance to alcohol and ferments at higher temperatures (compared to lager).

After hearing about beer and yeast should not be surprised about the fact that beer is also being used to make bread. I do it from time to time myself.

What about the alcohol free aspects of this saying? What things happen really fast? 

Accidents. It's one of the attributes that define an accident: sudden event  that is not planned or intended and that causes damage or injury.

Babies growing up, that's for sure. Well, the days are long, but he years are short. We'll talk about this when it's time for the letter Y.

Cookies and Cake disappear pretty darn quickly from my kitchen. I don't mind though. Gives me a reason to try a new recipe soon. 


Now to my questions: Are you a beer lover? Which is your favorite? How do you feel about cakes that are made with beer? Are pubs open where you live?

Let me know below and please include the link to your own post so I can visit back.

After all the talk about speed, tomorrow we'll slow down considerably. Because Rome wasn't built in a day.

How about we throw in a tiny Latin lesson as well? Be there!


Comments

  1. I like beer, mostly blonde. And Iuse it for cakes and bread too ;)
    I don't know if it really will happen, but bars should open mid-May...
    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe my post was named quality or quantity regarding the choices I had to make with treatment otpions, something you found boring LOL

    I don't drink beer or any alcohol. Have never tried. I am not a great fan of the aroma of hard drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tamara. Both our posts today (yours and mine) are about beer! What are the chances?
    I'm not a beer lover but I do take a few sips if the husband is drinking and it's a warm day--I like the taste but can't have more than a few sips.
    And, especially during April I have to watch my calories as I tend to sit down a lot while I blog:) So, no cake for me. It looks delicious though and as I'm reading this post after dinner, I'm tempted to grab a piece of chocolate! EEEKs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beer! Thanks for the accolades. The chocolate cake looks so good, and I've actually found a chocolate wine I just can't get enough of. I like beer but not as much as I used to. It just bloats me so much now I can only drink a few. At my 10 year class reunion I drank 24 long neck bottles... (yep I was pretty much trashed) fun though, except not the next morning. I've not drank 24 beers all at once since then. Ahh the good ole days. Oh I love a milk stout beer and some of the porters are very tasty. I think the bars are open around here... we don't frequent them. We do go grocery shopping to a store where we can buy a 16 oz. cup of bubblie (beer) and walk around with it to buy your items. (I always spend way too much money). Now let me see if I can follow you back!
    Cheers, Crackerberries

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope for beer. The wasbund drank it, as did the rebound guy. Cannot stand the smell.
    Cooking with beer? Too beery. See above.
    Are the pubs open? I think so. Restaurants are. I don't frequent bars either. See above.
    Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Guinness chocolate cake looks amazing!! So I guess my answer is yes, I'm ok with beer in my food :-) I often joke that I drank my lifetime supply of beer at college/uni because I really don't imbibe that much as an adult. But there are some foods that cry out for beer to wash them down -- so that's when I'll have one. https://mollyscanopy.com/2021/04/questioning-everything-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a teetotaller ... Social drinking among women was not a common practise in the places and cultural background I grew up in .....and it stuck on.... so I have never tasted beer and so my answer has to be NA :) ....But I love coffee....I like it a bit chocolatey...and yes I love cakes too

    ReplyDelete
  8. https://pagesfromjayashree.blogspot.com/2021/04/q-for-quidditch.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard this one. It made me laugh out loud and really is accurate. My husband loves Guinness and I would definitely enjoy that cake]. He's half Irish so we go all out for St. Patrick's day although sadly it was more limited this year with the pandemic.Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard that saying before but I really like it, reminds me of the Monty Python joke about American beer, which I can't write hear as it uses very strong language. I'm going to stick to the bubbly like you rather than beer.
    The cake looks fabulous and I'm very tempted to try making that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like chocolate stout but drink very little beer (or anything else alcoholic) or caffeinated beverages nowadays. I had urinary issues last year and I was told that several substances are irritants for the bladder: caffeine, alcohol and hot pepper. So wouldn't you know? After a time the issues did get better, and I find I can do without the caffeine and alcohol just fine. And, I was never that much into hot pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard of putting beer in cake. I have also heard of using soda. Not a real beer drinker but when I do it is a carb light one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A few cans short of a six pack I'm familiar with, but not this one.

    I haven't made beer cake, but I have made beer batter (yum!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.