20 Days of Chill / Ultimate Blog Challenge - Bucket



Welcome back to 20 Days of Chill. Today's prompt is 

At the top of the bucket...

The bucket? The bucket list? The travel bucket list maybe?

I recently did a post about my dream destinations. It included a place called Wineglass Bay. Sounds intriguing, doesn't it.

For the time being I would be happy to be able to travel anywhere without being afraid of catching you-know-what.

This is also my post for today's Ultimate Blog Challenge - the prompt being: 

Be inspired by a quote!

I feel I did something along these lines with another Cup of Coffee during the last UBC.

So I'm sitting here, wondering - is there I way I can combine the two and make it all fresh and new?

How about

Good words quench more than a bucket of water

Looks like there are two different people to give credits to: Dilip Sinha / George Herbert

Either way - I think good words, delivered in an authentic way, go a long way. It's not only about the words, though. It is also about the way you make that person feel. That's why I said "in an authentic way."

You know these fake "great job" compliments? These aren't worth much. How about the following on the other hand:

"I want to thank you for your contributions to the project. Your research and analysis made a huge difference, and who knows what would have happened if you didn't warn us about (insert crucial information). I really appreciated your taking the initiative."

As an employee you may say, well, good words are nice and all, but frankly, only cash is king, you know? Give me a nice bonus, and I'm a happy person.

I am an employee myself, and I don't mind some cool cash, but I'm also a Human Resources person, and my fellow psychologically trained people like to think that monetary compliments are short-lived. It's all about intrinsic motivation, blablabla ;-)

Before the Holidays there was this meme going around:



It made me laugh, and it got me thinking, too. I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have a nice, personal message from a friend than some thoughtless, useless crap, wrapped in shiny paper. 

Do you feel the same way?  Let me know.


Comments

  1. Thank you for your blog. This is the second piece, not in the Blog Challenge, but somewhere else today that I have read a like piece. It was about on the same lines of your blog. Building someone up for something they did really does go a long way for their confidence. Yes money is nice and spends very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara, When I read your posts, I slow down a bit. Your authenticity emanates from every word and I don't want to miss anything. When I was managing a small office I used to occasionally reward people with small treats. Then I realized that nothing made them happier then just hearing: You did on great job on that account or you really handled that well. Thank you for sharing your stories with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you on that! Meaningful words are more appreciated than thoughtless, useless crap. Well said! ☺ As for cash bonuses, nobody would turn them down, but if they are your sole motivation to do well, there's something lacking in character, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean, I can't lie -- cash motivates me. I do appreciate words. But I've thought many times that sometimes words are so shallow. I know most people mean the words they say, but sometimes I feel people higher up don't always mean what they are saying. So mix some words with a bonus check, and I'm happy. Alas, I work in a field where there are no bonuses. So .. the words are all we get!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.