Ultimate Blog Challenge - The Gift of an ordinary Day



Welcome back to the Ultimate Blog Challenge. On Day 10 we're supposed to share a video, and while I'm a bit of a YouTuber myself (here's the link to my channel), I chose to go down a different route.

A couple of years ago I came across The Gift of an ordinary Day video. Mother of two boys and book author Katrina Kenison captures each and every situation with the perfect words. Grab tissues before watching.




I had to dig deep into my old blog posts to find out just how long ago couple of years ago was. 

Almost nine years ago, that's how long. Colin was turning five years old, and there was a situation that made me feel I needed to teach him about keeping or breaking promises and ensuing consequences. I felt I was probably being too strict, but I certainly didn't want to be too lax. 

I'm glad I managed to set and enforce boundaries back then, because I seem to be able to reap what I sowed now that he's a teenager.

Knock on wood, I hope I'm not jinxing anything. 

So far he's been responsible, reliable and trustworthy. 

Yes, I'll get the occasional sigh, eye-roll or grunt, and course we keep having discussions about cleaning up his room, screen time in general and the importance of homework over online chatting and gaming in particular, but if that's all we fight about, I consider myself lucky.

More importantly he's a joy to be around. 




Katrina Kenison's video is based on the same-titled book she wrote. I had ordered it back then, began reading and never finished. I'm too busy creating happy memories.

Same goes for a book called "when your kids push your buttons". 

I consider this the umbrella effect: if you bring an umbrella, it won't rain. Buy parenting books on bratty children, your kid will be perfect ;-)




Bottom line of this post: 

Cherish every stage with your family. 

How are you doing in that aspect?

Comments

  1. I'm enjoying each phase of life more and more! I find teens to be a joy, so I'm actually looking forward to those years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest is in college so I try to enjoy his time at home. I think he does too. He will come and sit in my office with me and we chat about everything. I do feel like I missed some of his childhood (and my daughter's too) because I had health issues so we are spending as much as we can now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never bought those books - and thankfully, they never caused me to feel I needed them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Katrina Kenison's writing. I've seen this video a few years ago. Colin looks like a lovely young man. What would you expect, eh. He has a lovely mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, is Colin taller than you now? Doesn't time fly. Both my Barbarians are taller than me now (and Heckle is taller than The Hub with Jeckle chasing him down). They grow so quickly, you really do need to cherish the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. I enjoyed your post and video. It is amazing how time flies huh? We never were lucky enough to have kids, but I have 6 nieces and nephews whom I love and adore. All but one are now over 21 and I am SO grateful that I have them in my life and we are still close even though we all live in different states. There are a lot of family issues and some members are not talking to each other, but I created a bond with them doing ordinary things on ordinary days. I love that they still reach out and text me often (of course the girls more than the boys) but it warms my heart when they do. I even had one niece live with us for about a year when she needed space but still wanted to be near family. Those times are so precious and I wouldn't give them up for anything. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy today as they could be gone tomorrow (the last couple of years have sadly smacked us in the face with this reality). Or as in my case, hopefully they will continue to flourish in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice. Now as my mom is 98, I'd say it goes the same way...cherish time with your parents!
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just subscribed to your YouTube channel. I've been trying to slowly work on mine... it's crazy how long I've had it and never have done a ton with it. I'm hoping to break that stance in 2022!

    The posts you have with your son involved are great. I have a very close relationship with my mother as well, and it's been built over time. I imagine what you have with your son will remain strong over time because of the base you set and created at a young age. Keep making memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have forgotten what I was going to say, but I was here and you needed to know that, well not really but still..........................

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.