Secret Subject Swap - Even the Nights are better

Photo by Lucas Davies on Unsplash



Welcome to June's Secret Subject Swap

Again five brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  

Sit back, grab a cup and check them all out:

Baking In A Tornado
The Diary of an Alzheimer Caregiver
Climaxed
What TF Sarah
Part-Time Working Hockey Mom


My subject is 

What was the most memorable concert you've ever been to?

It was submitted by: Baking In A Tornado thank you, Karen!

This question made me smile. Usually it's hard for me to pick out an absolute favorite from several great ones. Songs, travel destinations, pictures, hockey players, foods,... 

Concerts, however? 

I think there are less than a handful to choose from, and one sticks out by far, so here goes:

It was in 2001 when I was living in San Diego. 

Somebody had recommended to check out Shelter Island, and I did. 

What is so special about this Waterfront area?

You have a wonderful view of San Diego Downtown's Skyline.

There is a boat launch, and it doesn't stop at motor and sail boats, people also like to enjoy to jet ski there. 





It's almost an unofficial SeaWorld. I've seen seals, sea lions, crabs, pelicans, seagulls, and more.




Fish: watch them or catch them.




You may take walks in the park and check out food trucks, watch people and just enjoy yourself

Last but not least, you may attend a live concert under the stars.




That's where this prompt comes in. 

If you come to Shelter Island you can't miss Humphrey's Half Moon Bay Inn. It's a hotel, and it's a concert venue.

Just out of curiosity I went to their website, and I couldn't believe what bands they had on their summer program! (Here's a list of artists they've hosted between and 1982 and 2021, be warned, it's a long list!)

Supporting Act: Christopher Cross
Main Band: Air Supply

I had no idea both of them still existed and better yet, still performed.

It was only a couple of days until the event, but just for the heck of it, I clicked on "purchase tickets", and BOOM, there were still some availalbe!

The date was the exact same I promised to pick up fellow Europeans from the airport, so just because I asked whether they'd like to join me to watch Air Supply, and they were game!

On second thought this didn't seem like a good idea. Imagine arriving after a 14+ hours' flight in a time zone that is nine hours behind, and you can't just collapse in your hotel bed.

They did great though, and we had a wonderful night.

Upon arrival there was a buffet with appetizers and beverages, and we had enough time to soak up the exciting vibes before taking our seats in the garden-like outdoor area and enjoy Christopher Cross' "All right", "Sailing", "Ride like the wind" and more.

If you've ever owned one of his albums you may remember that they all featured a flamingo for no particular reason. 



Listening to his music almost made me believe that flamingos live in California! However I think the only ones you'll ever see are the ones at San Diego Zoo.

Then it was time for Air Supply. 




Now in my mind their Greatest Hits will forever be connected with the boy I was in love with when I was 15 years old, and again when I was 23. We may not have worked out as a couple, but to this day we're still friends. I'm trying to remember whether we were in touch when I was in California. Fact is I was thinking of him that night! 

The people who composed and produced the music we had been listening to over and over, were standing in front of me, playing their instruments and singing. 

I'm pretty sure I sang along. I mean, who wouldn't?

It was magical. 

Who would have thought that over 20 years later this was going to be a prompt for my blog?

Do you have an artist or a band that has been very close to your heart over such a long period of time? 

Any memorable concert in your portfolio?

Let me know below.


PS: Air Supply are not getting tired. They will be back in San Diego this fall. 





PPS: When I chose the title for this post, it had to be one of the iconic song titles. "Making love out of nothing at all" didn't seem appropriate, so from all the many great songs I picked the one above. On Swiss radio stations you can rarely hear Air Supply. If then on "Vintage Radio" which is code for old people's station. Guess what. The other day, on my way home I was stuck in traffic, and I scrolled through channels I don't usually listen, "Radio Swiss Pop", they play exactly what it says. Swiss music and pop music or Swiss pop music. Apparently they also play Air Supply. They play the exact song I borrowed the title from for today's post.





PPPS: this was the exact same location of my car accident three months ago. Scary coincidence?



Comments

  1. Concerts are so much fun, and I've been to many, I'd have a very hard time picking a favorite. And I'm glad that wasn't you in the accident this time. I think you've already had a lifetime's worth of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher Cross and Air Supply sounds like a great show and outside too! Air Supply is going to be at the Mountain Winery this summer but we're not going to see them. We do have 5 other shows there though. I can't pick an absolute favorite, we've been to too many. I can pick worst though, Eric Clapton if you can believe that. Totally disappointed in the one time we saw him. Don't know if I will see him again either given his stance on vaccines, etc. Glad it was not you in that accident. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic! ☺ Every concert I've been to was a heady experience, and I was high on the music for days. Your night sounds extra-special, what with the buffet, your friends and Shelter Island! ♥ I remember my parents taking hubby and me to brunch at Bali Hai years ago. Hard to pick a favourite concert, among so many, but a couple really stand out, because I had been waiting for decades to see them live: John Kay & Steppenwolf (2012) and Metallica (2017). I hope viewing that accident scene didn't give you flashbacks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Concerts are not something I have any experience with I don't handle growds well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only been to one concert Sheryl Crow because I hate crowds but I always loved Bad Company best but I still have an old Air Supply cd that I still listen to occasionally!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.