Get Low

For the month of July A'lil Hoohaa's assignment is to come up with five pictures that represent "getting low". 

On the last evening of this year's summer training, the Museum Quarter - where the gym is located - said goodbye with a beautiful sunset - the sun was getting low.




During summer break we had to catch up on some very old, unfinished business. Our enthusiasted hockey player has always preferred water in its frozen state, meaning his swimming skills remained low. He attended a couple of courses when he was younger, but apparently what he learned didn't stick. So this year we meant business. I found a private instructor who did a nice job strenghtening Colin's confidence around liquid water. This is why you can only see a part of his head - he was getting (be)low water.




Swim class makes hungry, and while he went for the 12 inch sandwich at Subway, I have to keep my calories intake low. Chicken salad is was for me.




What happens though if you feed a teenager whenever he's hungry? Right. He'll outgrow his hockey gear. We had to replace everything from skates to helmet. And what is the protocol before joining summer hockey camp in August? Right. Breaking in the new gear. In July there are two ice rinks that I know of and that are located no more than 90 minutes away by car. We went to the one in the mountains, which was helpful in beating the sweltering heat. It doesn't look that way, but this paraglider was getting low way faster than I expected! I snapped this picture, and a second later he was in front of that cloud!




But of course the real action (and much appreciated cooling down) happened on the ice. Colin brought a schoolmate, and after the Zamboni cleaned the ice, they had to drill new holes in order to anchor the goal posts. So Colin got to work - low! I have never seen my baby using a power tool, but apparently that's what they're doing at practice all the time!




Since this is not a very exciting picture, let me add a bonus one featuring two happy skaters!



These were my five six. I hope you enjoyed them. Please head over here and check out what the other blogging photographers came up with. 

Today was also Day 31/31 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge, for which this time I chose a theme. I wrote about all things motherhood, maybe you're interested in reading the odd post, here's an overview.


Comments

  1. Love your commentary on all your photos! I would not have thought about some of your ideas! Great job! Hope Colin's swim lessons stick this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for this month. I love your creativity. I could use a stop at a skating rink during this heat wave. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you could get anything like that at Subway. It seems like many of us are looking for ways to beat the heat! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been so long since I've skated. One of these years, maybe I'll get back into it! I once really got low when I hit a bad patch of ice and woke up in somebody's lap as the ambulance was coming. Concussion it was!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.