UBC Motherhood - Wrapping things up



We made it! One blog post every day for the month of July!

This was my fourth time around, I first participated in November 2021, and have been taking it from there. 

I followed the suggested writing prompts for two rounds and then decided to combine April UBC with the blogging from A - Z challenge, for which I picked my own overall theme, and it was coffee. 

For this July series I wanted to come up with a theme that meets two requirements, it needs to be something that

  • everyone can relate to
  • I can write freely without doing too much research 

Looking at my almost 14 year old son I keep thinking "how did we get here so fast?" And that's pretty much how the idea was born. Having a baby, being a Mom, this should provide enough blog fodder for an entire month, right?




Here's an overview of all the posts, maybe you missed one, or a title sparks your interest:

Day 1 was a simple introduction. Who am I, and what am I going to talk about this month?

On Day 2 I looked back and reflected on the question: did I always want to become a Mom?

Day 3 was about the irony of not being able to get pregnant for a long time, and what desperate measures we were taking.

Even though it was just the next day (4) in the blog challenge, in all reality is was several years until I was eventually pregnant.

Some people prepare the nursery as soon as the stick turns blue. My nesting period started late in the game, and there was a reason for it. This was day 5.

Day 6 was about baby showers, gender reveal parties and the like. The question "why was my baby boy wearing a pink jacket" was answered.

On day 7 my contractions started. The post is called Birth - Part 1 for obvious reasons. 

I was not blessed with a quick and simple delivery, hence the sequel Birth - Part 2 on day 8.

Day 9 talked about the aftermath and postpartum issues. Not the most happy subject, but a tough reality for many women. 

On day 10 I talked about a typical Swiss Mom's situation when it comes to maternity (leave) compared to other countries. 

Everybody knows that it's important to bond with your baby early on. I shared some thoughts about this on day 11.

Day 12 - time for a nap! Not for me though. (Lack of) sleep has probably been the hardest part of motherhood for me.

Apart from not getting a lot of sleep, the first year went pretty well. At least that's what I feel today, from a distance ;-) This was day 13.

Day 14 talked about how to cope with pressure you'll experience from everyone? People may mean well but should mind their own business. That's at least how I perceived it ;-)

Easier said than done. Certain topics will nag at you, and you can't help but feel guilty. (Day 15)

How easy or hard can it be to find trustworthy people who will take care of your baby while you go to work? This was my topic on day 16.

Now if securing childcare was hard, don't get me started on finding like-minded Mom friends to share your everyday life with! (Day 17)

On day 18 I told you about toddler activities we enjoyed.

Day 19 was dedicated to my son's early interests. Like every little boy he was obsessed with Disney cars and the like. He had, however, a rather unusual interest that turned into a superpower. 

Day 20 - Independence! One day you take care of their every move, the next day your kid walks themselves to Kindergarten. Alone. 

The post about working mothers is probably the main piece of this entire blog series. On day 21 I talked about going back to work and what that entailed for me. 

The natural counterpart of the working Mom would be the SAHM = stay at home Mom. I decided to call day 22nd's post "Homemaker" and I did not talk about laundry!

A little early, on July 23, I sort of celebrated Christmas in July. In all reality I talked about how the Holidays are different once you have little ones.

Unrealistic expectations about motherhood set you up for disappointment. At least that's how I see it. Day 24's post was dedicated to this issue.

When you become a new Mom, your life is turned upside down, while the husband pretty much keeps doing his daily thing, just like before. My subject on day 25 was therefore about reclaiming my freedom.

On day 26 I talked about school. How is it different in Switzerland, compared to the U.S. and what has our experience been so far?

Day 27: Have ever been wide awake at night, worrying about schedules, school pick ups, meals and laundry, and let's not forget your projects at work? This is what I believed was called mental load. The post includes a list of activities that add up to the official definition of mental load.

Day 28: Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parents, Free-range parenting, we all heard about these terms, and they all come with a negative touch. I tried to analyze my own parenting style, and I concluded that I was a mixed bag ;-) Or - as my son's friends seem to think - a cool Mom. 

Small children, small worries, older children,... Teenagers may get themselves into all kinds of troubles. In my post I talked about a client's daughter's experience with alcohol. (Day 29)

Onwards was my title on day 30. A recent day that we spent plane spotting made me think that parenting was like operating an airline. 

And that's a wrap! We have arrived at day 31! 



Time to thank my fellow participants and loyal readers for bearing with me throughout these  posts. 

Special shoutout to what seems to have become my inner circle:

Cheryl - Using my Voice

Martha - The Martha Review

Roy - Cerebrations

Kebba - Healthy, happy, loving Life

Elisa - Life without a Manual

Doug - Where do you want to go today?

Our host Paul - All about Gratitude

Debbie - Debbie D. Online

Janet who inspired me to join UBC in the first place - Janet's Smiles


What's left to say? I enjoyed being part of another UBC. I understand the next one comes up in October. Depending on our vacation plans I may not be able to participate in that one, so we may read each other again in January?

Either way, don't be a stranger - let's keep in touch:


Comments

  1. You are so right, where does the time go with little ones? I have so enjoyed your posts for the July challenge and a bit Congratulations again! Maybe if you are vacationing in October you can pop in a few days out of the month! Otherwise I'll be watching your challenge to see what happening on your end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on completing yet another UBC! I have enjoyed your motherhood series and wonder how our little ones grow up so fast! Thanks for my blog shoutout and I'll be watching for happenings between now and next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed tis mouth's theme. It seems we had a similar idea to highlight follow bloggers.

    I'm looking forward see what you come up with next. ~cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamara, your posts are always well-thought-out and practical, yet somehow light-hearted. You are a joy! Thanks for all your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.