UBC Motherhood - Bonding

One thing I remember from psychology class back then, is the importance of the first 18 months in a baby's life. If they feel abandoned, there's a high chance that they will develop mental illnesses like depression. 

Sort of makes sense, if you think about it.

You're a very young human being who can't look after yourself. You depend on a nice person for everything: food, diaper changes, your blanket, warm clothes, you name it. Most importantly though: love and affection.

That way you will develop trust. 

Yes, a crying baby may be annoying, especially in the middle of the night, for the gazillionth time. And you probably won't scar them for life if it takes you a minute or two. However, if they learn that if they cry, you will come, it will give them a sense of safety.

It would be really interesting to know how much they perceive from what's going on in their environment:

  • During pregnancy
  • Once they're out

A friend of mine who is a certified ADHD coach, told me he read about a study where they look at stress hormones in babies and young children's urine. If they come from a stressful family environment, be it due to addiction issues, low income, violence, etc. their cortisol  levels were significant.

How does a young body and mind deal with this over a lengthy period of time?

My guess is they lose hope and try to get by without needing other people. 

I digress.

When I became a Mom, I was very aware of the significance of bonding and building a trusting relationship with my baby. 

I could only hope that he wanted the same thing though!! 

What if he didn't like me? Maybe he preferred Daddy? Or Grandma. She's a Kindergarten teacher, ALL the kids love her!

Well, I started to talk to him early on during pregnancy. Mostly on our commute to the office. God knows we spent enough time in traffic.

I usually told him what to expect today, like "I have a meeting with J. He's the Operations Director, and he'll usually say let's keep this short, but don't be surprised if he's still talking after an hour."

Or "hey, after lunch we're going into the city, I have to interview a potential store manager. I may participate in the coffee tasting, but I'll only take one sip. You're not supposed to get hooked on caffeine, are you, little guy?"

After birth I sort of continued to discuss our day.

"How about after your bottle, you're getting a clean diaper and then we head to the market?"

I like to believe he understood and approved ;-)

At least he always appeared to listen, and he kept eye contact, which always made me feel like "don't ever try to fool him, he'll notice."

I am generally a very intuitive person, so I just tried to be extra mindful to his vibes and follow my instincts.

However, I'm also generally an organized person. You know, my jobs required some rigid prioritizing and structuring, otherwise I would get overwhelmed and drown. 

Baby Colin did not get that memo! 

He didn't care about pediatrician's appointments. Even if I scheduled them for a time he was usually always awake. Not that particular day though. He was enjoying the nicest nap, and it broke my heart to take him out of bed.




All in all we got along brilliantly. This is true until today. He turns 14 in September, and he may have an occasional touch of bad attitude, which is probably equally true for myself, but it never lasts long.

If I had to come up with guesses as to why things went so smoothly for us... It'd probably be the following:

  • Think before you speak. Underpromise, overdeliver - never the other way round. Only promise what you can keep. If you threaten, you'll have to follow through. Nothing more ridiculous than the Mom on the playground who yells "do this one more time, and we'll never come back here, ever!"
  • Take your child seriously. He may only be 3 years old, but he is a person and deserves respect. Also I was never using baby talk, I addressed him in full sentences, using normal words, and I tried to explain why we (don't) do things a certain way.
  • I tried to teach him early on that there was no such thing as a free lunch. Business before pleasure. Yes, we may go to the park, right after we put away the laundry. If you help me, we will finish faster.
  • Considering he was an only child, I always made it a point to meet other kids. When he was 16 months old, I went back to work part-time, and he started spending two days a week at daycare. It was an international one at the airport, actually he and another kid were the only Swiss ones. He benefitted so much from this environment. 


And above all: just enjoy each other's company! Have fun! Laugh a lot! Love each other!

PS: Speaking having fun... One night after hockey practice I wanted to take him to the planetarium for an opportunity to see the super blue blood moon. The tour was fully booked, and I was bummed. 

"Take it easy Mom, we tried." my 10yo said. 

"We can always go and have a drink at the panorama bar." 


And that's exactly what we did. 

I know. 

Totally inconceivable in the U.S. No biggie in Europe. Here's the full post about it.


Comments

  1. What an adorable picture of Colin hugging you! I did the same about no baby talk and always listened quietly while the young ones tried to get a point across. Lia is so special, she is like Colin, no biggie if something doesn't go as planned, we'll try again and do something different. I'm enjoying your motherhood blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never talked baby talk to our kids either. I did read though that picking them up immediately when they cry may limit their ability to learn to sooth themselves, which is important too. Great series, Tamara!

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tamara, It is great to meet you here in the UBC challenge. My memory does not go too far back into my infancy. I have some memories of being a toddler and picking up language and phrases from the radio that was on most of the day. (BTV - before TV) My attention would momentarily get drawn away from playing with my toys when an advertising "jingle" would capture my attention. Sometimes it was the theme song from a daily broadcast.
    I followed one of the links from your post and bumped into Jules Verne on my way down the rabbit hole. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea flashed across my mind and you are right, he was a French author from two centuries ago. He also wrote Around the World in Eighty Days and, tying into your aborted moon adventure, others of his travel series were From The Earth to the Moon and Journey to the Center of the Earth.
    Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know one woman who really didn't bond with either of her first two children both boys but has bonded well with number three a girl, which I find strange

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.