UBC Motherhood - Christmas

I know it's July, and it's hot and humid outside, but I feel Christmas deserves a chapter in the context of motherhood. 

The Holidays take on a new meaning once you have kids, don't you agree? You want to create magic and it makes you happy to see their sparkling eyes and excitement. 

If your own childhood Christmas memories were not all that Hallmark-like you want to create your own tradition and keep things full of joy and harmony.

In order to keep it real, let's also admit that preparing for the Holidays with kids is stressful. They don't get the concept of "ornaments are no soccer balls", and waiting for the next day to open the advent calendar gift seems impossible. It's also a good idea to not take them to the mall for Christmas shopping.

On the other hand going to the mall in December has always been one of our favourite things to do. Colin was always very excited about the gigantic Christmas trees with thousands of lights.



What turned out to be not that great of an idea was the following, even though my intention was comprehensible:

Colin was four years old and up since 5am on Christmas Eve. Hubby went to work, and it was up to me to get everything ready for a nice dinner to which my parents were coming over. It was impossible to get anything done. He was too giddy. Running around, shaking gifts in order to guess what was inside, playing with delicate ornaments, you get the picture. I needed to give him something that was going to keep him occupied.

"Colin listen, let's do the following: you get to open one Christmas gift now. That way you have something to play with, and I get to do the work. Deal?"

Of course he went for the largest box.



The Playmobil police station, good choice, Lots of items to assemble, that'll keep him occupied. Or so I thought. 

"Recommended for ages 4 and up" the label said.

It was way too hard! He kept asking for my help, and I felt cheated. I was supposed to get the meat marinated, the wine glasses washed and the table set nicely!!

"Honey, you know who's really good at these things? Your Granddad. Why don't we give him a call and ask for his help?"

My Dad sure saved my butt that day!




Over the years we developed many nice Holiday traditions. Time permitting we went to see the Harley Santas, the "regular" Santa, the "Canada Store" and the Coca-Cola Christmas Truck.

The picture where I lift Colin up so he can interact with Santa is close to my heart for two reasons:

  • It has been our only White Christmas so far
  • Colin gave up his pacifier by giving it to Santa






Here's my favourite Holiday-themed video: 

Two.year old Colin singing Jingle Bell sRock:




Besides our fun and festive activities I always wanted to make it a point that other people did not have the means to celebrate the way we did, and every season we participated in a toy drive or similar charity initiative. 





Lastly I introduced the Elf on the Shelf. While in the U.S. this tradition has been around for decades, literally nobody even knew about it in Switzerland. After the first appearance of our elf - Colin called her Cookie - in 2012, he told his friends about it, and I found myself in need of an explanation why he was the only kid who got this cool visitor. Yes, cool, ours is not a mean spy. Ours likes to challenge and delight kids.



Over the years Cookie got a companion, whom Colin promptly named Biscuit, and together they're inspiring and surprising us every day. 



What are some cherished traditions you shared with your kids around the Holidays?

PS: this is what a little boy looks like who has discovered Mom's secret gift stash in July, it just popped up in my Facebook Memories the other day:


Comments

  1. Loved, loved this post! I have always loved Christmas. Not because of the presents but the wonderful feeling of being with loved ones. My mother always made Christmas special and I now try to do the same. - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post to wake up! I love it especially Colin singing and dancing to Jingle Bells Rock! This is the reason we need to take so many photos, what memories! I don't know how or why I remember this but when I was about 2 1/2 years old, my 5 year old sister thought it would be fun to sneak out of our room and see what Santa brought. As we were looking, Anne saw a package way under the tree and she told me to crawl under and get it. As I did, the tree feel down and my sister ran back into our room making it look like I was the only culprit! I don't remember the outcome with mom and dad but I always remember Ann leaving me out to dry! LOL BTW, Rich and I met on a blind date Christmas 1965 and our oldest daughter was born on Christmas 1968.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great ways to celebrate the holidays. I love Christmas and think I put the tree up earlier and earlier every year. My grandson is just starting to ask me when we can put it up this year...I told him right after he goes trick or treating for halloween haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live very close to the train and every year they have a holiday train that stops at certain stations and sings Christmas carols. There is a place to donate a new toy for other kids. It is free and fun. I like those kind of activities. When they relocated the train to an above ground station it no longer stops here but we can still see it as it goes by all lit up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.