Ultimate Blog Challenge - Couples working together professionally



Welcome back to the Ultimate Blog Challenge! Today's official assignment is to answer a question that I have been asked. Well, I have already answered the questions I was asked for "Ask me anything", but I will answer another question. Sometimes people want to know what it is like to work for your husband within the same company. 

Uggh, usually we get along fine,but the other day I suffered from the disadvantages of my husband also being my boss. 

While I like to think of myself as a hands-on, get sh** done kind of person, I can also work in a structured manner and pay attention to detail.

And I have the quiz results to prove it. It says I'm just slightly more global than linear.

Global? Linear?

When I was working for Starbucks, I often used to point out this distinction. It was an important factor to consider when training new teammates.

Here's a popular example we used in introduction classes for future managers:

Tell me how to brew coffee using a French Press?

The global thinker would go: 

Well, first you boil your water, put ground coffee in the coffee press, fill it with water and wait a while and then press down. Boom, done.

The linear folks within the group would cringe!! 

Wait a minute, you need to specify...

How hot does the water need to be? Temps between 80 - 90°C (176 - 194°F) are perfect, so don't over-boil.

What coffee to water ratio do you use? 2 tablespoons per 6 ounces of water.

How finely do the coffee beans need to be ground? The coarsest setting on the grinder, level 9.

How long do you let the coffee brew before you push down the plunger? 4 minutes (I accidently put 4 hours on my timer once. My inner clock told me at some point it might be time. The coffee had been brewing for 5 minutes, and it tasted terrible. Nothing like a little mishap to learn life lessons!!)

Back to my current job working for hubby's IT business:

Hubby fired me from putting letters into envelopes because I didn't do it right in his opinion. 

He had been putting a great deal of time and thought into crafting letters and flyers inviting customers to our 30 years anniversary event. Everything was printed and ready to go out that afternoon. If the several hundred invitations got packed and shipped that is. 

I volunteered to help. I had put only a few invitations into envelopes only to notice he unpacked them.

What are you doing?

"The address must be in the window!"

The address is in the window!

"Yeah, but you can see it's not justified perfeclyt. See the paper ends here, you don't want to see this in the window."





Who the hell cares, people are going to rip the envelope open and read the letter. Nobody's measuring!

I continured to pack letters, quickly closed the envelopes and put stamps on them.

"Leave the envelopes open" he told me.

For what purpose?

"If something comes up!"

What is supposed to come up? You checked and double checked. They're going out today! Don't create an unnecessary holdup,  I'm feeling really irritated here; it's only been two minutes, and already you're completely micro managing me.

That's when he told me he'd rather do it alone.

He's the CEO, he's got a million things to do, but right then and there, he wanted to give a couple hundred letters his attention and precious time.

Gladly, I stormed out of the meeting room. I had other things to do.

Of course the invitations didn't get out that day. But once they did, they were perfectly arranged, I guess.

PS: Want to find out about this linear and global thing for yourself? Here's the link 

PPS: Here's a good one, speaking of matter of opinion - which one can you see? Frontal or side view?





Comments

  1. The picture keeps going back and forth in my head .I can be both depending on the situation. But linear especially when it comes to money stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, that picture is amazing!! I love that I can see it both ways, but it's so weird. I don't know if I could handle having a spouse who was my boss. Off to find out if I am global or linear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did I have to see that picture so close to my bedtime? It is creeping me out!

    Thanks for sharing the info about global and linear. I didn't know that.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cracked me up! I totally feel you on this one. I feel like I'm global about most things, but can be linear when I want to be. This is like the Bird Test personality quiz I posted about a while back. Everyone works differently. Hopefully, you have a successful event, and you made up with the boss. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.