Ultimate Blog Challenge - It's a Wrap / My 1331st Post

Welcome to the last post of July's Ultimate Blog Challenge!

We did it, we wrote and published a post every day for 31 days straight! Whenever it was suitable, I used the proposed writing prompts, and it worked out quite well. 

My eleven years' blogversary was last month, and I almost forgot about it, but this is my 1,331st post! (I also forgot the 1,300th one, but I figured, 1,331 is the cooler number anyway, plus it coincides with the last day of the challenge!)

So let's celebrate by looking at the pictures I took today. I went to St. Gallen in the Eastern part of Switzerland, a town known for its baroque cathedral with the abbey library, which houses some 170,000 documents – in part hand-written and over a thousand years old. 



I didn't go inside though, I preferred to stroll across the Old Town.



The city is home to the University of St. Gallen, one of the best business schools in Europe. I didn't go there either. My boyfriend when I was 18 - 23 years old studied there for a couple semesters. I have to say though, a lot has changed since.



At the beginning of the 19th century, the first embroidery machines were developed in St. Gallen. In 1910 the embroidery production constituted the largest export branch (18% of the total export value) in Switzerland and more than half of the worldwide production of embroidery originated in St. Gallen. A large part of the population of the eastern part of Switzerland was involved with the textile industry. However, World War I and the Great Depressioncaused another severe crisis for St. Gallen embroidery.



One more thing St. Gallen is famous for: the OLMA. The abbreviations stands for 
Ostschweizerische Land- und Milchwirtschaftliche Ausstellung, Eastern Switzerland's Agricultural and Dairy Exhibition. It takes place every year in mid-October. This year they'll celebrate their 80th anniversary. 

I understand an official highlight are the daily pig races. Cute little pigs racing against each other, spectators betting on their favorite pigs.

I've never been, but who knows.

Thank you so much  for being part of my writing (and traveling) journey. I hope you had fun. 

See you back soon!




Comments

  1. Eleven years of Blogging and 1331 post is super impressive. Keep doing great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda Fluharty congratulations on blogging for 11 years and 1331 that is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful pictures!! I've enjoyed getting to know you better each time we hang out for one of these blog challenges. I look forward to seeing you again in October, if not before then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It has been a pleasure getting to know you through your blog and offline. XO Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on completing the UBC again Tamara! And congratulations on your 11th blogversary. This December will be my 9th blogversary, if I remember I'll have cookies and tea for my 10th one! LOL Keep on keeping on, watchin the hockey games and Lia and I will see you back in the October UBC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on completing this challenge with so many interesting and varied posts! 👌 And thank you for lovely tour of St. Gallen, where I spent the 1968-69 school year at Institut auf dem Rosenberg. Mostly, I remember the Migros store (we were allowed out once a week to shop) and a great restaurant down the street from there (can't remember the name) where my friends and I used to meet after sneaking out at night (Schwarzausgang). ☺ Have a restful August!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.