Ultimate Blog Challenge - What are 5 things that bring you passion?



Welcome back to the Ultimate Blog Challenge and happy Monday! Today's question is

What are 5 things that bring you passion?

This feels like the same question as on Day 2: What brings you joy? What is the difference between passion and joy? 

This is what I found upon googling:

Joy and happiness are both descriptions of feelings one has in a moment.

Passion, on the other hand, describes the inner drive / motivation / longing / love for a thing or person.

Interesting! 

As an HR person, I often think about what drives some people (and not others) in a business environment. I'm old enough to know that a pay check, even a fat bonus is not a sustainable motivator. Not sure about the visible status symbols money can buy though. Keeping up with the Jones' seems to be a strong drive for some individuals.

In a business context you'll always find people who crave power. They want to be in charge. They don't even want to be right or achieve the best result, they want to do things their way, no matter what. This stuns me. 

Then there's the opposite. Some hunger for approval. While there's nothing wrong with that, I think some need to work on their self-worth. It shouldn't be necessary to have to kowtow for the smallest things. Is that a common English term? Deepl translated it for me. What I want to say is people should not make themselves smaller than they already are.

Others - and I find this fascinating - seem to be driven by their curiosity. They want to explore and find out stuff. I think that's me, but only in parts. 

The other part is "comfort". I want to avoid stressful situations. I work hard to make sure things go smoothly. I research, I plan, I prepare, so my needs can be met, and it can be something simple like a parking space on game day when there's fall fair at the same time ;-)

Another thing I think drives me, is to be independent. I like to call it freedom. I don't like to ask for help, or God forbid, permission, and if I'm honest, I also don't like to ask for advice. At least for things (I think) I know myself. I have no problem addressing an expert for things I suck at. It'd be a total loss of my valuable time and effort to wear myself out with it.

That being said, what are things that bring me passion, in concrete terms? 

I struggle with the term "things". Things. Not people.

What if I look at this all wrong? Maybe I should ask myself what are the 5 things I would want to take with me on the lonely island or that I would extremely miss if they were taken away from me? Sort of like this:



  • I'm having a hard time deciding between enchiladas and tacos. Looks like Mexican food brings me passion ;-) Japanese, Thai and Italien, too.
  • I visited the house of an acquaintance today. She is a Canadian expat and one of the very few people in Switzerland that goes all in when it comes to decorating for Halloween. So I need to add holidays to my list. St. Patrick's Day and Elf on the Shelf season.
  • My notebook and wifi connecting to the internet, my lifeline, my source of knowledge and entertainment, my connection to so much and many. I would like to add that music is part of this category!
  • My car that takes me everywhere I want or need to go. That provides me with independence, flexibility and shelter.
  • This leaves me with... Hockey. I think it needs to be one of my five. Live games get tricky on the remote island, but I'll watch on my laptop!

Speaking of... we need to get going. Colin has practice tonight. They need to make sure they will win next time, not like last night. They were so bummed. I tried to make the video extra fun.



I am not sure this is my definite list. I will need to think about this some more. 

Now I want to know from you: What are 5 things that bring you passion?


Comments

  1. I love your list and curiosity drives me too.Also a need to feel good about what I do and I have this desire for being a free financially too.Plus I like playing badminton, reading books, painting,swimming and I need my BFF my daughter,the fishes (pets) .The list is growing.Hope you have a lovely November .

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm passion to me is a feeling where I care deeply about something, and want to change it or be part of it in some way. I have a passion for personal development, and for theatre, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Joanna. She called it personal development and I called it spiritual growth when I wrote my list right before reading the rest of this post. But also CHRISTMAS. Music. Creating the feeling of home. Creating the feeling of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel as those passion is something you live for. A lot of things in life can and have brought me joy. But passion is something you always go back to and can really dive into. It’s something that makes you want take action etc. Passion makes it part of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative, Tamara, and your definitions of joy and passion make perfect sense. I too am driven to explore and learn new things, but I also want to be in charge. ☺ Not great at taking orders from others, especially when I know there's a better way! Yes, "kowtow" is an excellent word for the situation you described. Besides hubby, dogs, rock music and photography are my biggest passions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.