Upcycled




Sometimes the internet is really great. One day I read a recommendation about a special place where guests sleep in former wine barrels, and I had the presence of mind to write down the name.

Usually I might forget that I wrote it down and forget about the whole thing. Or I would remember that there was this place I wanted to go, but where was it again?

Not this time. On the same day I visited the market in Lucerne, I proceeded to explore this place. It's  located above a village where Colin often plays hockey matches. But of course we never come here in spring.

Lokk at this stunning view!



I mean, is this idyllic or what? Sometimes I can't believe how beautiful my own country is. 



This is the Stadelmatt farm. It used to be just a regular farm.



Well, a regular farm surrounded by beautifully blossoming cherry trees, that is.



If you continue up the hill behind the courtyard, you will come across this additional property. A handful of special overnight accommodations: Upcycled wine barrels and LotusBelle tents, which are known for their combination of durability, spaciousness, and luxury, making them a popular choice for those looking to elevate their camping experience.



While I would not want to sleep in there - and I'll tell you why in a minute - I have to admit it looks extra cozy.



This is your breakfast buffet, complete with coffeemaker and a selection of tea varieties.



A gas grill is at your disposal for your BBQ. They thought of everything. There's also a fridge where you can purchase chilled beverages. Oh, and the meat. 



If you like it more spacious you may choose a camping pod.




I saved the best for last. 
Whether you choose to sleep in a barrel, a pod or a tent: They all come with your very own cute, furry neighbors. The alpaca can be booked to take a - guided - walk. 




The farmers sell alpaca duvets. Apparently he fibers of alpaca wool are particularly fine and at the same time strong and robust. Each fiber has insulating cavities, making the wool lightweight and wonderfully warm. The wool is so dense that it can easily withstand cold, heat, wind and moisture. The moisture management is also unique.



So if everything is so cool and magical, why wouldn't I go ahead and book a night? After all hubby's and my 20th wedding anniversary is coming up this summer?

The bathroom is in separate containers. I don't want to get up in the middle of the night, walk through the wet grass to go pee. I'm too old for this sh** Who am I kidding. I wouldn't have done it when I was half my age. It's my thing. 



Just as I wanted to check out the Hofladen, the farmer honesty system shop, I ran into what I thought was the owner.

Haha, no, I'm just the Mom, she said. Turned out she and her husband - whom I am pretty sure I saw mowing the grass - used to run the entire farm before their son and his wife took over and extended the business with the barrels and stuff. 

"You wouldn't believe the amount of work is involved" she said. "So.Much.Laundry" 

I stayed and listened to her longer. By this time we were practically friends. 

"Asian guests are the smartest. They arrive by public transportation, and they have everything figured out. They use their phone to find their way here. And the next day they move on to their next sightseeing location."

This made me smile. What did she think how I found this place? The internet, my friend. Social Media, Google maps, it's all there for everyone to use. 


Comments

  1. Those are amazing! What a view too. We tend to overlook the beauty where we live, when people spend money to visit on vacations! We used to live in CA and often went along a road with turnouts to view San Francisco and the bridges. My son couldn't understand why anyone pulled over and took pictures! It was a million dollar view (and the houses nearby multi-million). He's seen it too many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really cool. I'm with you though. I'd want a potty close by. And a door so the alpacas (or any other creature) didn't come visiting in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right - your country is beautiful and that view is stunning! Now, I'm not the camping type. At all. But if I absolutely had to go camping - and they added an easier bathroom situation - this seems like an ideal place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous views Tamara! I love the options for sleeping.. who would have thought to upcycle wine barrels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and interesting place, Tamara. I'm game to try it. We did a week of camping and sleeping in sleeping bags in a tent. But it was ten years ago though. I think I can still do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This view is amazing! Now if it were a little caravan on that site with a real bed - I’d be in for sure!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.