UBC July 2024 - Alcohol

Photo by Sérgio Alves Santos on Unsplash


Welcome back to July's UBC. This month I'm going to be talking about cultural differences between Switzerland and the USA.

Today's topic is alcohol, or better, how to deal with alcohol. 

Let me start by pointing out that both in Switzerland and the United States, alcoholism is a significant health problem with high human and economic costs, and I feel that powerful economic interests and cultural traditions can challenge strict health regulations.

The alcohol dependency rate in both countries is around 5% of the adult population, with more than half of those affected being men. 

So much for the similarities. Where are the differences?

Prohibition and legal drinking age come to mind. And money.

What do I mean by that?

Prohibition in the USA had both short and long-term effects on society. First of all, the prohibition of alcohol sales led to an increase in the illegal production and smuggling of alcohol, which led to a significant increase in organized crime. Prohibition also contributed to the development of underground bars and illegal alcohol sales networks, often run by criminal elements.

In addition, Prohibition had a social impact as it did not stop the consumption of alcohol, but rather moved it into  more dangerous areas. There were also many negative health effects as many people resorted to uncontrolled alcoholic beverages, often laced with harmful substances.

The repeal of Prohibition led to alcohol consumption being legalized again, which mitigated some of the negative effects of Prohibition. The taxation of alcohol brought in revenue for the government, and regulated sales made it possible to control the quality and safety of the alcohol consumed. However, the problem of excessive alcohol consumption remained, as alcoholism and alcohol-related problems continued to be a challenge for society. Prohibition and its repeal have shown that strict laws alone are not enough to control the consumption of alcohol and that a combination of legal measures, education and social interventions are needed to minimize the negative effects of alcohol consumption.

The crux of the matter, however, is that despite immense health costs, the government has no interest in curbing the alcohol industry (and the same applies to tobacco). The economic losses from job losses and reduced tax revenues would be too great. In order to soothe the conscience, a few half-hearted laws and regulations are created in connection with the protection of minors, be it in the area of advertising bans or educational campaigns. 

Reading what I've just written, I can't help but realize that the legal drinking age of 21 in the US is kind of a mini-prohibition with the same challenges as in the 1920s and early 1930s. Young people will find ways and means to get alcoholic beverages, and because it's illegal, it's all the more interesting and exciting. 

This isn't supposed to be a rant, so let's talk about differences.

The U.S. had the Prohibition, Switzerland had not

The legal drinking age in the U.S. is 21, in Switzerland it's 16 for beer and wine, 18 for hard liquor. In Switzerland - and this is especially true for our immediate European neighbors, such as Italy, Austria, Germany and France, drinking wine and beer is considered part of the culture, and kids grow up getting to taste here and there, no big deal. 

When I was in my early 30s I wasn't able to get a glass of wine with my meal in a restaurant because I had no ID on me. I had left my passport at the hotel that night. Even though I knew about the 21 threshold, I was stunned, but also impressed that they're taking this very seriously. 

The U.S. has some restrictions when it comes to purchasing alcohol even if you're old enough. You may not get your bottle of wine at the grocery store, but you have to shop at licensed stores or - at least until recently - weren't able to get your hands on your alcoholic beverage on Sundays. I found a particularly interesting nugget of information that says Massachusetts and Alaska still prohibit the sale of alcohol on Election Day when polling places are open. This goes back to a regulation from the Prohibition era, when some saloons served as polling stations. I didn't know this, but I think it's neat.

In Switzerland you can pretty much get any alcoholic beverage at any time of day and anywhere. Except at Migros, that is. Migros is one of the two largest retail players in Switzerland. They have a history of not serving and selling alcohol at all. Two years ago this principle was challenged. I wrote about it here

In Switzerland no-one bats an eye if you enter a bar with a ten-year-old kid in tow. I speak from experience. I also speak from experience when I tell you we weren't allowed to have lunch in broad daylight at the bar of a touristy restaurant at Chicago's Navy Pier because all the regular tables were busy. 

High school and college are crossroads for many young people. I feel like they - especially young men - have to position themselves. They can't become members of student fraternities if they're not "committed" to drinking 

Since Colin skipped a year of Kindergarten he's always been the youngest, so the parties he attends are organized by 16 year olds and above, and there will be alcoholic beverages. He's not interested in them, and often he's the only one not drinking. While I applaud him, I also think it's kind of sad. Can't they have fun without the need to mix and match, and quite frankly mismatch, contents of bottles? 

Yes, I was young once, too, but the drinking at the parties I attended was never as prominent.

In the U.S. there is an open-container law, meaning in most states you're not allowed to buy a can or a bottle and drink it in the park or at the beach. There is no such regulation in Switzerland. You may encounter a group of highly intoxicated people in certain places, but you'll also witness totally civil people enjoying a nightcap in public. 

The official rule in Switzerland is "citizens are generally allowed to drink alcohol in public as long as the general public is not disturbed by consumption." 

A fine line?! How is it being handled in everyday situations?

In cases where the person does not pose an immediate danger, they are usually given a verbal warning and asked to go home or leave the public space. If the person is unable to get home safely, the police may accompany them or arrange for them to be taken home safely. If the person poses a significant danger to themselves or others, the police can temporarily detain them to remove them from the danger zone. In many cantons (states), there are special facilities or cells where intoxicated persons can be held safely until they sober up. If the condition of the intoxicated person requires medical intervention, the police will request medical assistance. In some cases, drunk and disruptive behavior in public can lead to fines or other legal consequences, especially if it is accompanied by crimes such as vandalism or violence.

I will be talking about legal consequences in a different post. 

This open-container law in the U.S. also prohibits the transportation of alcoholic beverages in the passenger area of any motor vehicle, which makes total sense since you're not allowed to drink and drive anyway. In Switzerland only the "don't drink and drive" applies. I have never heard that it wouldn't be allowed to have an opened wine bottle in the bag on the passenger seat.

To close the circle, we must note that despite the differences in handling, the end result is similar. Both countries have 5% alcoholics and more or less the same secondary problems. What do we learn from this? 

It all comes down to personal responsibility, starting with each individual, but also especially with parents of children and young people. 

Cheers to that!?

How is alcohol handled where you live? 

Photo by Becky Fantham on Unsplash


PS: In connection with my weight loss project, I have only had three glasses of Prosecco since New Year's Eve. Because liquid calories count, too. 



Comments

  1. Young people will always find a way to obtain alcohol. 16 seems young, though, for it to be legal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m in the USA, and was one of the kids upset when the drinking age went from 18 to19 in the mid 80’s. A few years later it went to 21. It was awful and you’re right it’s mini-prohibition! When this happened adults and older friends would just go in and buy the alcohol for you. Then police started to arrest those who bought for minors. Parents were arrested for letting their children drink alcohol-with them at dinner! So crazy. But it’s been about 30 years now. The millennial generation grew up with the ‘Just Say No’ campaign against alcohol and drugs. And I feel overall that has a positive effect on them. I would be interested in the statistics for their age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad spent time in Europe when he was in the military. So, he always let me have a sip of whatever he was drinking when I was a child. As a teen I was never racing to get alcoholic beverages because they weren't exiting and many didn't taste all that great! LOL We made it clear that my now adult son could have a sip of many of the things my hubby was drinking (I don't drink due to my transplant meds). My son wasn't as interested. In college he drank for a bit when he joined a fraternity but he is already walking most of his one year of imbibing back. He doesn't like the morning-after scenarios. Hangovers are miserable, right? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to learn the difference between things between Switzerland and the US. As for alcohol, I am happy to say neither Rich or I have every drank alcohol, smoked or did drugs. It carried through to my children and grandchildren too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Germany, as you mentioned, alcohol consumption is a normal part of everyday life and children are exposed to it early on, so it's no big deal. Every little café and ice cream parlour has a full bar. Attending boarding school in St. Gallen, age 13-14, my friends and I used to sneak out at night and drink beer and Apfelwein at a local restaurant. When I was 16, living in Canada, they lowered the drinking age to 18 and I had no trouble getting into nightclubs and bars. Never was I asked to show any ID, anywhere, nor did I drink to excess! (That came later...) By contrast, the U.S. is incredibly restrictive! My husband and I visited my parents in San Diego, three weeks shy of my 21st birthday. They took us to a nightclub that featured a hypnotist, where ID was required at the door. I was forced to sit apart from my family because I wasn't 21 yet! Can you believe that?! They had a 'minors section' and we weren't allowed to fraternize with the adults. I still get pissed off when I think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamara, what a fascinating piece. I know Arizona grocery stores used to prohibit sales of bottled alcohol before noon on Sunday-- silly, but written in the law. However, I believe I read that ban was lifted. Also, the lock on not driving with alcoholic drinks changed a lot during the Pandemic; some venues were selling margaritas by the quart, to go with your delivery dinner. What has changed a lot in the last 20 years is the attitude of snobbery toward those who choose not to have alcohol; there are so many reasons a person might not have alcohol. We have nonalcoholic wine, and we have nonalcoholic cocktails in the finest venues. My metabolism hates sugar and alcohol, and no one ever gives me a hard time about it-- any more. Hmm-- I wonder how many of the 5% are getting help, like from Alcoholics Anonymous? Thanks for a thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.