Secret Subject Swap - Ireland

Photo by Diogo Palhais on Unsplash

Welcome to March's Secret Subject Swap

Again 7 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  

Sit back, grab a cup and check them all out:

Baking In A Tornado

Spatulas on Parade  
Wandering Web Designer
Part-Time Working Hockey Mom
A 'lil HooHaa
Climaxed

Southern Belle Charm


My subject is

 You are visiting Ireland for the first time, what will you go see first? Bucket list agenda? Dream vacation?



It was submitted by: Spatulas on Parade - thank you, Dawn!

How exciting!

Can you believe I live in Europe and have never been to Ireland?

My only British Isles experience include a few city trips to London and a stay in Southampton, mainly to visit Peppa Pig World when Colin was not even three years old. 

If I'm going to Ireland for the very first time, it's going to be with or without you. I prefer to take you guys with me, though, so go ahead and get on your boots!

I don't have a bucket list per se, but above all, I want to meet *Patrick* in Ireland!

Hey, you know how much I love to celebrate St. Patrick's Day - which is barely even known, much less observed, in Switzerland.



For this reason I would certainly time my trip for around mid-March, and not October.

I'd love to spend a beautiful day walking around the Grafton Street neighborhood. It's not only supposed to be Dublin's premier shopping location, but also a place to experience street music like traditional fiddle players. 

Photo by Jordan Harrison on Unsplash

At St. Stephen's Green, a 22-acre park, I hope to escape the hustle and bustle of the city of blinding lights and find shadows and tall trees, however, I wouldn't expect them to be Joshua Trees. Instead you get to enjoy a large lake fed by an artificial water fall. Ducks and other waterfowl are having a grand time interacting with visitors.

Photo by Lucian Petronel Potlog on Unsplash

What are other things to make and do

Even though I don't usually drink beer, I guess I just would need to get over it and taste some Guinness. If not the beer, I'll certainly enjoy the panoramic view from the Gravity Bar that is part of the Guinness Storehouse.



Photo by Ving N on Unsplash

As one should not drink on an empty stomach, I'd probably grab lunch at the legendary Bewley's Oriental Café first. I'm sure they serve some beef stew, shepherd's pie or any other Irish food you may desire. 


Since some American souls are going to read this, here's a treat for you: at the little Museum of Dublin I get to see the lectern used by JFK when he addressed both houses of the Irish Parliament in June 1963. 

I know that most of you like to read, that's why I also visit Trinity College. Their library looks impressive! Do you think they even carry the book of your heart?

Photo by Jack Reichert on Unsplash

Let's move on to the historic Docklands that recently got a modern eye-catcher. Well, the Samuel Becket Bridge is more than a pretty piece of architecture and the city's pride. It unites communities that are divided by the River Liffey. The cable-stayed bridge can be moved by rotating horizontally, that way large ships may pass. 

Photo by Gabriel Ramos on Unsplash

It's been a long day. 


Originally I had booked an apartment at Cedarwood Road through Airbnb, but an unknown caller turned out to be the landlady who cancelled on me. "If somebody threatens to blow your house down", she told me "you have to take it seriously. "You know they say the IRA is gone, but I'm not so sure about that. Some of them are still out of control."

Just breathe! 

I googled and googled, but every accommodation within a twenty miles radius, including the Abbey Court Hostel, seemed to be fully booked. 



Photo by Henry Be on Unsplash

What should I do if I still haven't found what I'm looking for and it's a race against time?

A street acrobat by the name of Angel of Harlem turned out to be my knight in shining armor.


"What's going on?" he asked. I told him. 


"I know a place" he said. "However, it's far out - where the streets have no name."


As long as a bus would take me there and I didn't have to go until the end of the world, I was OK with that.


Photo by Nico Baum on Unsplash

This is how I found a room at the heartbreak hotel, not just any room, mind you - the receptionist told me "your blue room is ready for you." 

Rumor has it Miss Sarajevo has stayed there before. It may have been a different kind of blue back then, though.

Eighter way - I'm sure I will sleep like a baby tonight.

Photo by Enric Moreu on Unsplash

Now this was an interesting experience. 

And it was all because of you and your writing prompt!

Your turn now! Have you been to Ireland? What was your visit like? Let me know in the comments below and don't forget to visit my fellow bloggers' posts!


Comments

  1. Thanks for taking me along with you. The trip started out with seeing the sights, but you sure ended it on another level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always dreamed of going to Ireland but don't think I would be able to fly that long. It's funny though if you're looking for Patrick he's here in SC. My husband is Patrick McDaniel and he was born on St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome trip! I have not been but would love to go and see many of the places you just shared.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally trying to catch up on all of these challenges! This month has been a whirlwind for me. But IRELAND! Oh my yes. One thousand times yes, yes, yes. I went in 2010. I loved it. I want to go back when I have a good 10-14 days where I can drive the whole country. I have friends who honeymooned there and they said it was the best. For me... I spent most of the time in Dublin (it was a family trip), but we did get out to the coast a bit and we visited Howth, which was amazing.

    I also spent a day with two locals, geocaching a few small towns and through the wicklow mountains. Great scenery! The Guinness factory was great.

    I only did one recap on my blog from then, but it's at: https://hoohaa.com/?p=891.

    One thing I did do was post a lot of photo albums on my Flickr -- this is my first day one. You can search my albums and find the four other days, if you so wish! https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoohaaphotos/albums/72157624326171281

    Ireland is a must. I so want to go back .. it's right up there with Iceland and Alaska for the spots I want to get to most.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.