Blog with Friends - Eat around the World 🌎


Photo Credit for World Map: Aaditya Arora from Pexels



Welcome back to another episode of Blog with Friends - this month's theme is Eat What You Want Day.

Who knew this existed? It's part of the calendar that includes wonderful events like national donut day (first Friday in June) or national teddybear day (September 9)

It looks like we have Ruth and Thomas Roy to thank for Eat What You Want Day. They felt people needed a break from all the pressure to watch their weight, don't eat this and don't eat that. Instead they encourage us to let go and just enjoy what we actually like!

Initially I had a hard time committing to a theme, because there is so much different food out there that I like! I decided to ask for Colin's advice. He was busy, looked at my screen for a second, said "Sushi - Goodbye" and wanted to disappear. 

Hold it, not so fast! It's not just one meal! You can't eat sushi all day..!

"Hold my chopsticks!"

This is how we compromised on an Eat around the World 🌎 theme that includes the following:
  • American / Canadian Pancakes for breakfast
  • Nachos as a snack
  • A refreshing mojito for happy hour
  • Italian lunch consisting in pizza
  • A nice glass of Australian red wine
  • Japanese dinner: sushi, sashimi, maki, rolls, you name it
Boom, a culinary trip around the world!


As part of our March Lockdown Project, Colin and I picked a dozen countries we were going to study. We kicked it off with a North American 🇨🇦 🇺🇸 Pancake 🥞☕️ breakfast in our PJs. 




Two years ago a friend who runs a TexMex Catering organized a 🇲🇽 Cinco de Mayo 🌶cooking class 🌮 for handful of us ladies. I blogged about it here. 





This year we threw together our own little nachos at home, and I don't know about you, but this shelter-in-place situation makes me think chips is a totally acceptable dinner choice! Hey, you can't see it in the picture, but I actually served broccoli, too. Some family members did not approve, though.









I have never been to Brazil, but let's just imagine you were here and you sipped this kid friendly 🇧🇷 mojito with us:






Italy 🇮🇹: I use this meal to think of my Italian classmates I had the pleasure and honor to grow up with. Even though they are from our immediate neighbour country, their culture couldn't be more different, and us Swiss - punctual neat freaks - are so lucky to interact with fun-loving, expressive folks!




What's a pizza 🍕 without a glass of red 🍷 wine. We don't have to travel to Australia to get just that. Italy is actually the world's largest wine producer, certainly you've heard or even tasted a wonderful Chianti, Barolo or Montepulciano.

For the sake of this post I'm still taking you to Down Under 🇦🇺 







We spent our 5 weeks‘ honeymoon exploring this beautiful country and meeting the friendliest mates, humans and 🐨🐊🦘 animals. Unforgettable times!

Time for Dinner! Christmas 2017 I splurged for a Kids Sushi 🍣  Chef Class for my little man, and look at the fantastic job he did:




He did so at Yooji's small-is strain station store in Zug where he plays hockey, but our favorite 🍱 🍣 location is at the Glatt mall, and we can't wait to get back there soon!




What is Hanami, you ask? 花見, is the Japanese 🇯🇵 tradition of enjoying the gorgeous cherry tree blossoms.




While Colin was kind enough to join me on my quest to find Swiss blooms, he is more interested in the sushi train, the possibility of ordering via tablet and of playing tic-tac-toe while waiting. Or during eating. 

Because you're allowed to play with gadgets at the table on Eat what you want Day.






Are you hungry yet? I hope you enjoyed this culinary trip with us!

Before you raid your fridge, please visit my friends' posts:





Karen of Baking in a Tornado shares her recipe for Sweet and Salty Bars

Dawn of Spatula on Parade's title sounds like a legitimate life motto: Bacon for the Win

Tamara of Part-time working Hockey Mom misses traveling. What's the next best thing? Eat around the World 

P.J. at A 'lil HooHaa's post is called Youthful Comfort

Melissa of My Heartfelt Sentiments has the Recipe for the Perfect Handmade Card - this one is probably low fat, low carb, low sugar, but still very sweet :-)

Lydia of Cluttered Genius is going to teach us Lessons from a ruined Cake - I think we can all benefit from that one!




Comments

  1. Everything looks so good, I'd sure love a "leftovers" night with some of each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to learn. Thanks for sharing.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun - and I love that he's involved so much in the choices and experience. This would be a great experience for all of us stuck at home right now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.