Snap Away!

Welcome back to another episode of A'lil Hoohaa's photo blogging challenge. This month's theme is Snap Away, which gives us a lot of creative freedom.

In September I did something I've been wanting to do for a while: I participated in a "Photo a Day" challenge. Let me tell you about it. I found it by googling, looked at the prompts and thought there are some tough ones, but I can do it - and I did. Every day the host picked the fabulous four and published them with a special mention. Guess what, for SHINY my picture was chosen :-)

If you're interested (or may want to do one yourself) check out my Instagram page and / or  "Fat Mom Slim's" homepage.

Apart from this, it's been a busy month. Colin went back to school - actually not "back" since it is a new school, equivalent to junior high, and it's been challenging. He's also been training and playing hockey a lot, locally and more remotely than usual. 

The first half of October he'll be off school, and we are taking time off from work as well, so we hope to explore parts our home country Switzerland since a trip to North America is not happening this year. 

First let's see about my September though:

For the most parts it's been an absolutely gorgeous late summer, perfect to snap away! This is in the area of our local castle. Himmelsleiterli pretty much translates as "Stairway to Heaven" and somebody made an interesting observation:

"The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven tells a lot about anticipated traffic numbers."



Colin's braces require disposable little rubber bands, which he ran out of. I used a rare day off to drive to his dentist's town to get some. It was before lunchtime, and I came across this welcoming outdoor seating area.



On another beautiful day I visited the pumpkin patch. Since I've already shared a lot of the decorative pictures here's just a simple haystack.



For the first time in Colin's hockey career he was in the line-up for the top team that plays in the same championship as the Italian speaking part of Switzerland. Meaning a few times this season, he and his teammates have to basically take a day trip to Ticino, which is a weekend getaway and vacation destination. In order to get there, you need to cross the Gotthard pass, which will unavoidably make you spend an hour or two queuing. 

They go there using vans that belong to the franchise, and some brave Hockey Moms or Dads have to drive them. I will participate in an introductory class in a few days. 

Anyway. We could have just dropped him at the arena at 7am and be on our merry way. Since we had to get up early anyway we said, what the heck, let's follow them in our private car and watch the game.



We were so glad we did. Not only did we enjoy some wonderful scenery on our way, we also witnessed a great hockey game that ended in our guys winning 3:16.

All that getting around makes a girl hungry. While Colin trains, I spend quite some time at Freiruum, the  new multipurpose loft style venue just within walking distance of the hockey arena. There's trampolines, yoga, meeting rooms, creative workshops, free wifi and street food  booths offering various cuisines. After lunch they don't resume cooking until 6 pm, and only Thursdays through Saturdays. Recently a Taco stand was opened. I made friends with the guy who runs it, and he will take pity in me and make a Mucho Nacho Bowl for me as early as 5pm. Who's a lucky girl? 



These were my five - I hope you've enjoyed them. 

What have you been up to this month? Let me know in the comments below.

Please head over to A'lil Hoohaa's blog and check out my fellow bloggers' contributions.


Comments

  1. The mucho nacho bowl looks delicious.

    Also, the photo of the palm tree in Switzerland, just strikes me as a little incongruous. I guess that shows my ignorance of the climate and weather patterns of the area, but it doesn't fit with what I have in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, yes, palm trees are not Switzerland's typical plants.
      The fact that our southernmost canton "Ticino" is located south of the Alps, makes it favorable for a milder, more Mediterranean climate though. They grow tasty tomatoes, apricots, figs and the like.

      Delete
  2. Nice photos, I used to love snapping away now due to shaking hands that's not possible

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "Stairway to Heaven", one of my favourite Led Zeppelin songs. I shared your post on my Facebook Doglady's Den Website page and a friend wondered if this is where they got the inspiration from. 😃 Your photos are always lovely, Tamara! I don't remember seeing palm trees in Switzerland. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I googled it. The song originated in 1970 when Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were spending time at Bron-Yr-Aur, a remote cottage in Wales. So my town can't take credit ;-) Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
  4. I've so enjoyed your photo a day challenge. You captured some great shots! The palm tree in Switzerland took me my surprise. I love the stairway to heaven quote and agree it does give a clue to the traffic! Looks like you were very busy this month. Thanks for sharing part of your world. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great1 That nacho bowl has made me hungry. I used to do Fat Mom Slim's Photo a Day but fell off. Maybe I'll look that up again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing but admiration for how you fit so much into every day. Way to go! Congrats on the hockey win. Looking forward to hearing about how it goes when it's your turn to drive a van! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.