Ultimate Blog Challenge - Day 19: Blog Recommendations




Welcome back to the Ultimate Blog Challenge and happy Friday! Day 19 is all about us bloggers reading other blogs .

I'm glad we don't have to talk about the books (plural) we've been reading lately, because that post would be over before it began. My schedule and my current (for the past 25+ years) somewhat squirrely condition don't allow for me to sit down and read a book, let alone in one day.

I used to love to read as a kid and teenager, and luckily by boy is the same way.




In college we had to do the classics. In four langauges. The German ones were the worst. Goethe, Schiller, you name it. In order to graduate, we had to read and interpret a handful of books, again in four languages. 

I had enough.

Ever since then the only time I have been reading books was typically at airports and during long-haul flights. 

Some of my all-time favorite light reads are by Sophie Kinsella, Meg Cabot, Lauren Weisberger and Emily Giffin. 

Maybe the internet with its instant news and picture posts added to my short attention span?

Anyway. 

If you've been a blogger for almost ten years - yes, next year I am going to celebrate my double digit blogversary - you've picked up a number of blogging friends along the way. 

One niche particularly fascinates me. So much so that I did a fictional mini-series on the topic myself, check it out here if you're interested. 

The topic being expat life in Switzerland. 

I find it super interesting to learn how people feel who come to my country, looking for housing, schooling, language classes, etc.

I've been running a Facebook Group called Bloggers in Switzerland. Most members are trailing spouses of husbands whose jobs brought them here. Or they met their Swiss husband and moved to his counry for love.

Mom in Zurich - Kate from the Seattle area and her South African husband have been calling Zurich, Switzerland, their new home since 2015. Her blog is a ray of sunshine. I have met her in person, but even if you didn't, reading her posts is like meeting for coffee and chatting about her adventures.



Swiss Family Fun: In 2005, Tanya and her family moved from San Francisco to Zรผrich. Her blog is an exemplary guide for all things hiking and exploring the most awesome spots in Switzerland, complete with maps, opening hours and other info worth knowing. I actually learned about things to do and see in my own country from her!




Our Swiss Experience Hana and her family moved to Switzerland from the Czech Republic. Her content is about learning the ins and outs of living here - I especially love her observations about our culture - as well as traveling and hiking. Her blog is the only trilingual one I know. She writes in English, German and Czech. She's a fellow Hockey Mom, too, however she doesn't blog about it. She's smarter than me. Nobody wants to read about youth hockey.




An American in Basel Liz, the author, and her family is originally from the Chicago area. She went back to school here in Switzerland, so she hasn't been blogging for a while, but her older posts are fun to read and you'll get a glimpse of the Swiss city of Basel, which is famous for its carnival and fall fair. Liz managed to lure me to her city on a weeknight. It is after all a 44 miles' drive each way. We went to the movies and watched Bad Moms. Go figure ;-)


A. Warm - Hausfrau now Looks like my dear real life friend who lives in the same town, but whom I never see, doesn't have time to write anymore either. She and her family moved from Florida to Switzerland ten years ago, incredible, isn't it? "Hausfrau" means housewife, and this is what she found herself reduced to in her first years as a new expat. In the meantime she has built up her own Health Coaching Business. 




This is us, some lovely ladies whom I met at English speaking playgroup ten years ago. One of my friends in the picture is married to an elementary classmate of mine. Finding out about it was a funny story, but this will be for another day.

Are you friends with bloggers you follow? Do you wish you were? What blogs do you like?


Comments

  1. I love this and all the photos make each blog inviting. I’m looking forward to visiting each one.
    Thank you,
    Debi ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿ

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like fun blogs. I have become "online" friends with a few people. I do plan to try to do better moving forward -- I would like to have more of a community as opposed to folks you just communicate with for a moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love Sophie Kinsella and I have several online blogger friends.Plus my sister ,husband and my best friend all have blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not have many friends who blog consistently. Before social media was so popular, I had several friends who blogged but now they use instagram as their blogs. I love blogging - and I love all the friends you have made in Zurich! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great intro to how folks view Switzerland

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to visit all those beautiful places and to meet other bloggers on your trips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your choices of blogs to follow. Very connecting learning where and how others live. I had trouble commenting using my phone. Now 3rd try on my Mac. Hope it doesn't come out 3 times!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.