Time Capsule 2022

I started to do Time Capsule posts in 2017. The original idea of time capsules is to pack items into a box that represent the year. In order to minimise clutter in our house, my versions so far have been digital ones in 20182019, 2020.and 2021

This year will be no different. 

It started with finally being able to celebrate New Year's Eve with our friends again! 




Colin and I made our Three Kings Bread from scratch




First hockey road trip in 2022! The boys were excited, and so were we!



Covid boosters were not recommended for kids younger than 16. Unfortunately we got to live with the consequences of this. Colin had symptoms, and after he tested positive at home, we went to an official test center at the hospital, and sure enough, our family had to quarantine.





Colin felt poorly for about two days. After that, he quite liked the opportunity to stay at home and play online games with his schoolmates who were sick, too. 

This was me, working from home. Even though it looks cozy, I didn't enjoy it and was glad to go back to the office.




Hubby - who was going to get sick, too, thought this looked hilarious - Colin still has his Disney Cars bedding, 




When everybody was feeling better, we finally rang in the new year with my best friend.




Colin went back to practice, and I enjoyed some January vibes.





My Mom and my son, both proudly wearing their new Nikon sweaters.




Friends who run a similar kind of business and work closely with us, asked whether we'd be willing to take over theirs so they can retire.




Hubby and his former business partner's son visited to discuss this takeover in early 2022. Can you spot the iconic mountain in the background? That's the location of their business!



Just a random rainbow on a February day! I always particularly enjoy these short, magical moments!



Hockey game in Engelberg, maybe the most gorgeous locations he gets to play.



The hockey community gave me these flowers to thank me for the videos I always make to show the games' highlights.




They appreciate my throwing together the after game pizza get-togethers as well.




Most of the times flowers are a symbol for happy occasions. Not this day, though. Sadly, one of my childhood friend's Mom passed away. She took a bad fall on the stairs and sustained severe head injuries. 




Hubby's birthday. I invited some good friends to have dinner at our favourite panorama restaurant.




Mardi Gras at Freiruum where I usually spend time as Colin trains.




My birthday was uneventful: work and practice. The next day was a day off. Unfortunately it was eventful, but not in a good way. I god rear-ended on the freeway. The damage was worse than it looked, and the insurance company let me decide whether I wanted them to pay for the repair or the value of my car at the time. Since the latter was surprisingly high, I went for the money. My main reason was last year's experience: I had to wait for original spare parts for six months. Not again.




C and I went for a Saturday lunch - we walked.




Husband prescribed himself a timeout. He took five days off work. Well, he didn't go to the office for five days but worked from home. Except one afternoon: we went to play Minigolf, enjoyed some dessert and went to the supermarket. Sounds all really ordinary but was really nice.







First signs of spring - much appreciated! I took a trip to Zurich and enjoyed myself a lot!




Last road trip and hockey game of the season. This meeting was going to reveal second and third place within their regional category.





Did I mention it took place in the Italian part of Switzerland? 




Our guys played well, but things did not work out in their favor. The host team won.



Worst of all, one of his teammates got injured.




Arina, our friends' exchange student from Egypt braved the ice rink!



Randon spring picture!



As part of Colin's career orientation he had the fabulous opportunity to spend an evening at the Swiss TV's sports studio, along with the host of the show and a hockey expert, in the person of retired hockey legend Martin Plüss. 




They showed Lausanne HC : HC Fribourg Gottéron. It ended 2 : 2 after regulation. 

In the third overtime, the 105th minute of the game, Fribourg's #5 Philippe Furrer scored!



This was us at about 0:30 am I believe. good thing I had asked his teacher whether he was allowed to skip the first class the next morning!



Random screen shot of my most successful Wordle! Usually it takes three or four attempts.




After several weeks of unsuccessful car hunting, I got myself a new ride! It looks brand new but has been pre-loved for two years.



Time to take my new baby out and explore!



I may be slightly obsessed with magnolia! Aren't they just so pretty? 




Wait, what? Snow? In mid-April? Are you kidding me? go away!




Fortunately spring returned, and C's spring break began! He graciously agreed to accompany me to see the rose fountains in Zurich. 



We made carrot bread. You just knead shredded carrots into your regular bread dough. 



I don't think the hard work was entirely worth it, but it was something new for a change.




In April, all pandemic restrictions were lifted in Switzerland, and we were able to catch up on something that was long overdue: a trip to Lausanne for the main reason of having lunch at Five Guys!



Since we were in town, we also explored the Olympic Museum. I'm glad this wasn't our main reason for driving 2.5 hours each way. You mainly get to see medals and jerseys of successful teams and athletes. 



A must-do during school breaks is a trip to the mall, and I finally got to see my former SBUX coworker Florian again! He had moved to Florida in 2016 (?) and got back home. 



Speaking of Starbucks. I dedicated the 2022 A - Z Blogging Challenge to talking about all things coffee

What you can see below is something I have never come across before: Cascara Tea! What? Tea? Yes, it's made from the coffee cherries' pulp. The leftover part after removing the coffee beans, so to speak. 




Sushi lunch - another item to check off our school break activity list!



For Easter we dyed our eggs and assigned them jersey numbers of the two teams that were going to play in the Swiss National League's Playoff: Our team EV Zug (blue) vs Zurich Lions (pink). In sure tradition of "Eiertütsche", banging two  boiled eggs against each other, and the one that doesn't crack, obviously wins! I wish I remembered who was going to win according our silly little game!



So, let's talk playoffs! We play "best of seven", and unfortunately our team lost the first three games. Meaning the opponent was ready to win the cup in the fourth game. Not so fast though!!!





While Colin - as an active member of the junior league - gets free entry, I couldn't manage to get a ticket to every game. TV reporting tought we were going to lose as well.




I was incredibly lucky to get a ticket for game seven! Not only for me but for two of his best friends from school. Pre-Game Dinner!




It may have been premature but I indulged in some bubbly to get the game started. Look at it this way: I can't drink after the game - I have to drive home!




Look at this! We did it, we won! We turned a 0:3 lag into a 4:3 win after seven games!



The city turned into a gigantic party! Ironically this time last year during the pandemic everybody was told to stay home. Only a thousand people were allowed into the stadiums. This year, the arena was sold out, which means 7,200 people were in the house, and they had to turn away thousands of people who would have loved to watch the game. 

An outdoor screen was built up, and according to the stadium speaker, there were even more fans outside than in the arena. So a minute before the game was over, they asked us to remain seated as there was absolutely no space for us outside! 
We had to wait until past midnight until we got to exit the building. Did I mention it was Sunday night? The guys had to go to class the next morning!

I' still so happy as I am typing this. What a once in a lifetime experience!

A couple of days later there was a parade across the town. The youth players were invited as well. 



Here they come, our Swiss Champions 20211/22! Stadler, Senteler, Schlumpf,  Zehnder,...




A bit later we got to visit the trophy at the sports bar above our rink! 




But wait, the Swiss Championship may be over, but the NHL teams are still playing, and look who won!




Back to regular life. A spring storm had caused a mess. Petals everywhere. it did look pretty though!




Time to try out a new recipe. Peanut Butter / Jelly Sandwich Cookies! 





For the first time in almost three years, my Mom finally got to visit my brother and his family in Israel!



Colin and I went and did something touristy in the meantime: we visited the Rhine Falls! The Rhine forms a natural border between Switzerland and Germany. At this particular location, 600,000 litres (158,000 gallons) per second drop down 23 meters (75 feet)  to a lower level.



This is no place for swans to hang out. I met them a few days later at a different location.



After Colin's Godfather's official birthday party we had an unofficial dinner to which my SIL and niece joined us.



She and Colin got busy drawing! It's not hard to guess who was sitting on which side of the table!




More birthdays: June 16 my Dad turned 80! He invited family and friends, and we enjoyed a nice, yet hot day at the countryside.





He's an avid GeoCacher, and so I prepared a mystery each for him and his guests that took them around the premises of the cottage he had rented for the occasion. The log book contained memories and pictures, hopefully a nice keepsake.





Youth festival, Colin and his classmates clean up well!






His lovely class teacher



Summer break! C had been procrastinating an old to-do item: swimming. This summer he braved the water, and he showed considerable improvement, way to go!




However, as he pointed out, he definitely prefers water in its frozen state. After getting new skates - and new hockey equipment for that matter - he and a friend wanted to break them in. It was 30°C (86°F) or more outside, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ice rink!!




Wedding anniversary on the rooftop terrace! Fancy dinner and a free side of wasps.




The best part, however, was the McDonald's hot Apple Pie we got on our way home and enjoyed it at the office - no wasps.




I did not appreciate the humidity and heat this summer. 34C = 93F, feels like 40C = 104F!




I wanted to hide in the fridge and wait for October, but my teenager was on his summer break, all of his friends were on vacation, so on the days I didn't have to work I encouraged forced him to do sh** with me. 

He suggested plane spotting. Great idea! 



We practiced the phonetic alphabet, and he downloaded a flight radar app so he'd know what type of aircraft of which airline was going to approach for landing or taking off shortly. 







Then it was already time for him to leave for hockey camp! It was going to be the last time. Next year - if he's still playing - there won't be a week-long camp, just a Friday till Sunday practice weekend. 



One of the staff members kindly sent us this picture - can you spot Colin?



I remember the first time he attended camp. He was nine years old, and it was probably the longest week of my life! 

This time I did OK, I got busy, and the day before the kids were ready to be picked up, hubby and I took a day off work and traveled to the lovely mountain resort where the camp takes place.



I survived hiking (downwards) for 45 minutes



No matter the temps, when in the mountains - order cheese fondue! Delicious!



As soon as he was back, ice practice resumed, and they played their first test games and tournaments. Colin is a member of the captain's team this season, which makes me proud.



Jan Kovar and his sons came watching. Jan is our grown up team's captain!




Last game of the tournament against our arch rival Argovia Stars. I may have prematurely purchased a bottle of bubbly that I shared with some of my Hockey Mom friends, but I did have a good experience back at the playoff finals, remember? Worked out perfectly this time as well. Our guys won!




Random sunrise one August morning!



Rare sight of a perfect avocado - worth a mention, don't you agree?



Yummy fall coffee, worth a mention as well. Unfortunately it was gone as I came back for more.




Another day tournament in the Grisons Alps. Our rival team from last month were there, too, and our guys outplayed them once again and won the trophy! 





More rewards on our way home. Look at this double rainbow!




Day off for me as Colin departed for his week-long class camp. I had alapca visits on my bucket list, and that's what I did. I went to two different locations. They are beyond cute!





This is the picture of some of Colin's classmates who got up at 4am to climb a mountain. It was taken by a classmate who sent it to his Mom. This Mom promptly sent it to me because she suspected I wouldn't get it otherwise. Good thinking!




While he was away I grabbed the rare opportunity to meet with my own classmates. That's what we were between the ages 12 and 16. Feels like yesterday!




As soon as he got back he turned 14! Feels like yesterday that he was born!




Pefect way to celebrate: Winning a hockey game against last season's regional champion. Bonus points if you're made team captain!




I consider myself lucky that Colin trains at a town that has so many nice places to hang out at. This is the official harbor.




And just like that pumpkin season was upon us. Annual trip to my happy places!







Last year I "met" a lady on Instagram. She lives a 25 minutes' drive away and goes all out for Halloween. I love the time and thought that goes into decorating her house and yard.




Colin had three weeks off - fall break. Hubby and I took time off from work as well. I may have taken it more seriously. He worked from home on most days. Not this one though. We took a day trip to Thun in the Bernese Oberland. So pretty!







Best buddies at school. Their paths will part next summer. I do hope they manage to keep in touch. That night Colin shared his fan jerseys. The one he's wearing himself may have gotten a tiny bit too small. That's what you get for grwoing up so fast! No school means attending the game on a weeknight!



My heart gets heavy as I'm writing this. Remember thses people from earlier this year? This is them, signing their company over to us mid-October.

Last Christmas he had Covid from which he didn’t seem to recover. He was short of breath and kept coughing. Turned out he had lstomach cancer. Went and got chemo. Felt better, returned to work against doctor’s orders though. Mid-October we signed the acquisition and sent one of our young guys to learn and work. Late October our friend felt crappy, went back to the doc to learn he had now metastases on his liver. Got more chemo and radiation, which made him feel very weak.



Look how happy they were!




Scary moment when your teenager finishes hockey practice early, complains about chest pain and isn't opposed to a trip to the ER :-( How many 14 yo get an EKG?



The next day he felt fine, and we felt like celebrating at a sushi place.




From Japanese Sushi to Swiss Raclette - the first one of the season for that matter! I was home alone for a change and enjoyed my little dinner with a glass of South African red wine. I'm food-wise flexibel lilke that. 




So. the lady on your left and I worked together a good 25 years ago. We never saw each other again, until now. Thanks to Facebook we reconnected, and she kept posting about her participating in artisan markets. Of course on those weekend dates I'm usually otherwise busy, aka taking C to hockey games, but this particular Saturday I had no plans, and I took my Mom to check out crafts and food at this market. It was so nice to see my old colleague again.




Of course the next weekend we were on the road again in the name of hockey. Away games in the Italian speaking part of Switzerland are always a treat. I mean, look at these castles in Bellinzona!




Every Swiss person born between the 1940s and today knows Emil, the comedian. Usually you grew up listening to his LPs, cassette tapes or CDs. In the year 2022 we managed to get tickets to an actual thater performance not far from here. We invited the office team plus a couple we're friends with (and who used to work for us at some point). Of course prior to consuming culture, we had to consume F&B. Right?






A couple of day there was more culture in our calendar. My 19-year old niece performed as part of her thesis. She did a choreo for ten people, her included, chose the music, organized the location and the people who operated the lights and sounds and invited the guests. The theme was "weather" and the ensemble managed to express sunshine, hail or fog using their costumes, movements and facial expressions. Very impressive! 



The young folks are a friend's kids who like dance and wanted to meet the artist. Happy to help!
My niece is the tall girl in the white shirt. She was very busy meeting her supporters. 




Several weeks after Colin's birthday he finally managed to invite his friends. They went bowling and later ordered pizza at our house. Meanwhile hubby and I had to disappear. We took a walk in this Od Town of Zofingen and later had dinner at the "Kentucky Saloon".




Every first Sunday in November is "Swiss Ice Hockey Day" - an opportunity to celebrate and promote the sport. Traditionally for our team there is a skatathon to raise money for the youth teams. This year there was a picture taken that shows everyone involved in the organization - from the professional players to the youth players to the chefs and administrative staff that are required to run an operation of this kind. I don't think they said how many people were on the ice, but it took a while to get them to settle.




Speaking of youth. All beginnings are hard. From the age of four or five kids are invited to attend hockey school. That's how Colin started as well. Now that he's among the "bigger boys" they take turn to show the little ones the ropes. It's the cutest thing.



Meanwhile at the office my coworker had surgery and was going to be on sick leave for a good ten weeks. Time for me to step up and cover for her while doing my own job. This is what it looked like on any given day ;-)





One day my overworked hubby was supposed to go and meet a vendor when he noticed he had a flat tire. My colleagues went to work immediately. One lent him his car so he could be there on time, then they tried to fix the tire enough to take it to the shop where they put on a summer tire until an appropriate winter tire was going to arrive from the warehouse the next day.



This is what it usually looked at home. Some days we had to grab our fresh laundry from the counter instead of the closet. 



What are you gonna do if you have to take your son to practice? You leave your unfolded laundry behind and grab sushi to go on your way to the arena. 




While still working full time, I had to consciously carve out time to do fun stuff, especially to spend time with Colin. He never complained but he had to step up at home as well. Get groceries, help with cooking and laundry. The best part for him was probably to have unlimited and unsupervised online time. This is us enjoying ourselves at Basel's fall fair.





A former work colleague spent a full consecutive two weeks working 15 hours' shifts at this traditional candy stand. Respect!




Speaking of fun stuff: The Seahawks and the Buccaneers traveled to Munich, Germany, for football game. Even if we tried we wouldn't have been able to score tickets, but we enjoyed watching from the comfort of our home and created this picture.




It's been a bucket list item of mine to visit "Cheers" - a knock-off of the Boston-based sitcom bar. It's located in a neighbour town where Colin trains. I met a former coworker from 20+ years ago. It was a Wednesday night, and we learned it was usually quiet, so we need to come back on a Friday.




Rare occasion of taking my parents out to lunch at a Christmas market. It was very nicely done. We learned about it from my colleague who is an exhibitor.




Colin's team has been very successful and a bit underwhelmed this season. So they got the chance to play against more equal teams outside of their regional league. They lost both games, one after regulation trailing only one goal and the other one after shootout. Even so, it ws probably the best games to play and watch. They did well and could have won just as well. Great challenge!




Practice hard, play hard, get to see a Champions League game at our home arena! Our team defeated Red Bull Munich. I spotted this camera man and posted the picture in our hockey community's chat, saying if anyone was still wondering what to get me for Christmas ;-)




New teammate who joined from Germany this season.



Just another fun day in the life of an overworked hockey mom: Colin's bike had a flat tire. Good thing I drive a spacious SUV and get to transport it to the shop.





Time for our village's Christmas tree to be lit. Look who was joining us, too! Our elves Cookie and Biscuit who made their first appearance on that very day!




Our arena did well, too! In light of the energy crisis, the outdoor ice rink opened later in the year than usual, but I'm glad it did, and they didn't do without Christmas lights like other organizations.




I may have gotten slightly obsessed and went on a hunt for Christmas lights. One night I tapped and fell - and survived!




Rare occasion of getting to hockey town early - allowing for a snack at Colin's favourite spot.




Another pastime of me is to track down Santas. At the arena, on the road, riding their Harleys,...




And sometimes I am even my own little Santa.



Another ER visit with my teenager. He had symptoms that suggested inguinal hernia, in which case he should probably stop playing hockey, so we had to find out. After a four hours' wait we were relieved to learn that it was just an abscess from ingrown hair. Still it wan't pretty. After a couple of days fortunately things cleared up. Most importantly he was OK to keep playing. "You're wearing protection, right?" the lady doctor asked. Sure.




Since the forecast didn't look optimistic for a White Christmas, I celebrated what little we had on December 16! 



It can't be Christmas if we don't pay our beloved Canadian grocery store a visit to get wild salmon from BC and other goodies!




It can't be Christmas either if we didn't at least make one cookie variety! Our elves brought all the ingredients, and we got to work. 





The last road trip to the Italian part of Switzerland before the Holidays was canceled due to too many sick players on the opponent's team. Instead Colin and a handful of his U15 teammates were supposed to play a U17 game! 



But first - Dinner! We were lucky to get a table for us, and the only reason we did, was thanks to the fact that we arrived at 5 and promised to leave at 6:30pm. Meeting time at the arena for the briefing and off-ice warmup was 6:45pm.


As we drove them to the rink, we noticed the beautifully decorated streets, and I said, let's go check out the town, we have over an hour to kill!


It was one of those nights when the outside temperatures were lower than in the  hockey stadium. (minus 7+ Celsius = 19°F), but it was oh so pretty!  Our stroll even lead us to a Christmas market, and that market came with a sock stand. Why was I so excited about it? Read  on over here. 



I honestly don't know what I would have done without our lovely elves. I barely had time to eat, work, sleep, repeat, when was I going to decorate? So nice to wake up to this surprise!




Not only Cookie and Biscuit came through - so did my parents who invited us for Christmas Eve. 




Ambri Piotta, the club I support besides our "own" team, participated in and won this year's SPENGLER CUP. It was a nerve racking last period that got tied and ended in overtime and shootout. 




I like to make fun of the TV reporter by playing "Bullshit Bingo". I will pick 25 words or phrases he's famous to use, and I'll cross them out as he says them ;-)



Then we were off to see our friends with whom we've been celebrating most New Year's Eves in the past few years. 2022 didn't leave without a spectacular sunset.




View from their balcony! So gorgeous and calming - I'll take that as my motto for 2023! 




Thank you so much for being part of my journey - here's to a healthy and happy new year!


Comments

  1. Such an eventful year. ☺ Your photos have captured the beauty of it so well! May this new one be even better. So sorry about your friend with cancer. Sadly, this horrible disease has touched many of us, in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.