Ultimate Blog Challenge - What do you often get complimented on?


Photo by Lisa Fotios



Hello, happy Monday and welcome back to October's Ultimate Blog Challenge.

Bevor we get to today's question, let me update you on the election results:

The populist, xenophobic, misogynist party has won an inordinate number of seats at the expense of moderate, social and environmentally friendly parties. Add to that the fact that none of my carefully - and intentionally - selected candidates made it into the National Council :-(

With that out of the way, here's what we're talking about today:

What do you often get complimented on?

Is it just me, or are these assignment carefully aligned?

What comes naturally to you?

What are you an expert in?

What gives you energy?

I feel like these are all connected. I once did a post on IKIGAI. 

Iki-what?

It's a Japanese concept that means "a reason for being", and it tries to find the essence of the following:

  • What you love
  • What the world needs
  • What you can get paid for
  • What you're good at
Back when I reflected on these aspects, I found that I have been doing some things right. My day job is in Human Resources, and in my spare time aka in my unpaid job as a Hockey Mom and Blogger. I'm doing things that I mostly love, that I'm decently good at and that a small, yet important part of the world needs,

Did I tell you that I recently started to contribute articles to our quarterly village magazine? So far they published six of my miniature pieces, and I got compensated for them. Of course if I had to life off it, the quarterly magazine would have to be a weekly booklet, but it's still nice to get financial recognition for something that comes easily to me, and that I love doing. 

Back to the question at hand. Compliments. 



Contrary to the U.S., Switzerland is not big on giving positive feedback and paying compliments. If you're used to going to the supermarket and telling the lady at the checkout that you love her (insert feature), you would be looked at funny if you did the same in Switzerland.

In many (working) environments, not getting any negative feedback literally means people are happy with you. 

Also doing friendly small talk with strangers is not a common thing here. it is not even customary to give way to someone in traffic just to be courteous. 

Which means, if somebody compliments you on something, they really mean it, and it's probably true.

Another thing to consider: a compliment by somebody who is hard to please feels more precious than from someone who's a bit of a brownnose. 

I'm stalling, can you tell? For some reason it's easier for me to dissect where I need room for improvement than to repeat compliments about myself. 

Here goes, people say, in no particular order, that they appreciate about me...

  • Good feeling for languages
  • Organization skills
  • Chocolate Chips Cookies
  • Good memory
  • Person of integrity
  • Creative
  • Consistent 
  • Knows her people
  • Reliable
  • My videos
  • Independent 
  • Knowledgable
  • Resourceful

That's about it. That wasn't so hard now, was it? Your turn now, what do you often get complimented on?

Let me start by giving you one: you're a loyal blogger buddy! Thank you! ❤️

PS: Yesterday I encouraged you to ask me anything, and Kebba had a few questions. On her own blog, Martha had a question as well. I will answer them in one of the upcoming posts.



Comments

  1. Growing up in the Caribbean, as a very shy girl, I didn't know how to handle compliments and usually tried to explain them away. Coming to live in the United States, changed me in many significant ways. One was I learned to accept compliments with a simple, "Thank you."

    Perhaps the most common compliment I get after speaking appointments is that I'm really good at explaining complex concepts in a simple way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am often complimented on my overactive imagination and my ability to make up stories on the spot! Also my drawing ability. And my cookie baking and soup making skills.

    Like Florence, I was a very shy girl and I became embarrassed when people complimented me. Fortunately or unfortunately, that didn't happen much. Now, I'm more expressive and open and people complimented me. Sometimes, I still have no idea of what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First- I love the cartoon! And, yes, I do get a slew of responses to my offerings and each of them are savored!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get complimented on my artistic window treatment designs and other sewing projects, baking and cooking but the one thing that many compliment me is my long hair and how I don't look 74. But I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not, maybe they think I look older. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.