Vordergeissboden



Vordergeissboden literally means "front goat floor", whereas "floor" for "boden" is not a great term. In the Alpine region, the term "boden" often refers to a plateau or a flat area in the mountains. It can also generally refer to a flat, open area or a plain in the mountains that can be used for agricultural purposes.

I haven't found any reliable info on the name, but I have to assume that it used to be a place where goats were grazing. 

Today it's home to a boarding school and in general it is a nice local recreation area, all year round, but especially in winter because the Zugerberg has a maximum altitude of around 1,039 meters (3,400 feet) above sea level, which usually means that you are just above the fog line, which is unfortunately common in winter. 

There's a small pond from where the local firefighters get their extinguishing water.



The summit offers a breathtaking view of Lake Zug, the surrounding region and the Swiss Alps, as you can see.



It is the Northern part of the Zugerberg. There's a Southern part as well, which is called Hintergeissboden, "rear goat plateau".

The other day, when I was out and about at the market and to check out the upcycled barrels, I remembered a place I once took my parents like 25 years ago when I was living in the Zug area, and I decided to go back.


It did not disappoint. It was a wonderful spring day, the cherry trees were in full bloom, and it was magical. Remember, the overall theme for this April writing challenge was "spring activities that make me happy" - this qualifies many times over!




I did a little hike to meet the cows and get an even better view of the lake. 




In the mountains you can find all kinds of devices to prevent the cows from moving away from their grazing area, be it electric fence systems, metal gates or this natural border: the wooden post in the middle is positioned so that no cow (and not even any human) can get past it ;-)


Paraglider pilots know and appreciate the Zugerberg as an exciting mountain to fly on because, despite the rather flat topographical conditions, it offers interesting thermals, magnificent views and unique sunsets.



I couldn't stay that long! At the end of this post I'll share a sunset picture from a nearby location that also overlooks the lake. You'll love it.

Before I left, I was able to spot the arena Colin trains and plays at. It's the large flat dark top you can see on the lower right hand side.


I don't consider myself an outdoor type, but spending a couple of hours walking in an environment like this, is really relaxing and absolutely beautiful!

As promised, here's the sunset. Did I promise too much? I believe not.




I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. Until tomorrow!



Comments