Ultimate Blog Challenge - Share a favorite Picture / Proud Mama



Welcome back to Day 16 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge! 

Today's assignment is to share a favorite picture, maybe make it go viral?

Not without the backstory, though. Here goes:

My husband is always shocked to read about young people who think it's a good idea to climb onto parked trains. Just last month he read on the news that a bunch of 19 year olds, on their way home from partying, did exactly this at 2am. One of the group who climbed onto a locomotive died from electrocution. Two other teenagers were seriously injured in the accident. 

As heartbreaking the loss of these young people is - in the aftermath we heard their friends blaming everyone else: "The danger signs are difficult to see – especially in the dark." "The barriers and walls are far too low - so people manage to actually climb over them". 

And the best for last "there is too little information at school about the danger of power lines." 

I beg you pardon? 

Frankly if some drunk idiots want to do something stupid, no danger sign will stop them. they were college students who were probably able to calculate resistance, current and voltage and all that stuff. They knew darn well that they should not touch a power line.

Hubby often preaches to Colin "you may have fun with your friends - just stop for a second and think about your safety before potentially doing something stupid!"

Colin usually nods, shrugs and goes about his day.

I may be naive but I don't think he'll get himself in these kinds of situations. He is not looking for trouble. He doesn't even want to light a sparkler or use a big knife in a "controlled situation". He doesn't get into fist fights - not even while playing hockey. 

Some of the naughtiest things he has ever done, was that he raided my not-so-secret-anymore toy stash when he was about four years old. Had a blast playing with the new LEGOs. When he was about 10 or 11 - against our agreement that friends may only come over if I was home - he had himself a little pre-Christmas party with a handful of friends. They broke a couple of ornaments and guiltily put on their shoes and jacket and slipped out of the house after I caught them.

Long story short, the way I perceive him, he's as reasonable and peace-loving as they come. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, right? Haha. His teacher seems to think so, too, though. 

The other day I got confirmation from another outside person, Anthony McArthur.

Colin and I like to get lunch at the local pub from time to time on a no-game Saturday. Their cheese nachos are really tasty!



The manager reconized us despite the mask. "I know you're good, but I still have to check your certificate." he said. 

The certificate being proof of being vaccinated (or recovered from Covid). 

Looking at Colin he went "you don't need it, you're not 16 yet, right? Weren't you here with your friends the other day?" 

Sure thing. 

Mid-December we had our Santa's Market in the Old Town, and we heard that there weren't going to be any food stands, the reason being that they wanted to keep the market open for  everyone without the Covid Certificate, with the consequence that everybody older than 12 had to keep their masks on at all times. 



Side note: I did not stalk them. I was at work. Photos were taken by my Mom who was there with the young kids she babysits. 

Since it was going to be a cold day, I gave Colin some money and suggested if they needed to warm up, they should go to McArhtur's, and that's exactly what they did. 



"So if you're not 16, exactly how young are you?" the owner asked. 

"13? Really? You did great the other day, I was really impressed."

I perked up my ears.

"What did he do?" I asked. 

"We had a super busy day" the guy said. 

"Everybody was hungry at the same time. The only food people could get at the market was sweet treats, no warm meals, so it all came down to everybody's gathering here. Your boy was discussing the options with his buddies over there and then ordered and paid for everyone at the counter. When they got their beverages, they went to sit down. I guess they *twinted him the money afterwards."

Well, he's been around, he knows the drill, I downplayed it.

"You have no idea how many grown-up people were standing in each other's way waiting in line, and when it was their turn, they're like what should I order? Only to find out they don't have their wallet, or some other obstacle. Seriously. He did great! And you're really only 13?"

Wow, that was really nice to hear. It made me proud to know that I've raised my son well. He knows his way around eateries. As a 9 yo he knew about the existence of a panorama bar in Zurich, and upon slurping his pineapple juice there, he involved the bartender in a conversation about the order in which the alcoholic beverages were organized behind the counter: alphabetical ;-) 


So the picture below is the one I'd like to share. A friend took it at McArthur's two years ago, literally a couple of days before we first heard about the outbreak of yet another Asian virus that was hopefully not gonna concern us. Think again. Anyway. Happy and carefree times back then.


If you choose to share it, you will find it on my blog's Facebook site: Swiss Part-Time Working Hockey Mom - Bonus points for giving my page a thumbs up. Thank you!


*Twint is a Swiss App allowing everyone who owns a bank account and a smart phone to send each other money, It's as easy as a texting.




Comments

  1. Colin sounds responsible and thoughtful, must give you peace of mind. And that's a lovely pic of you both that's worth sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing how life looks and works in other countries is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, mama! Sounds like you are raising a great son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that marvellous time pre-covid...I'm not surprised that's one of your favourite photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this interesting with great photos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.