20 Days of Chill 2020 - Dream On

Thank you, Georgia, for letting me use this meme!



Welcome back to 20 Days of Chill. Today's prompt is 

Dream On

Unlike Show me the Way, Dream on definitely makes me sing immediately. 

I'm talking about the 1982 version by the Scottish band Nazareth, even though Aerosmith was a good ten years earlier in releasing a different song with the same title. 




Oh man, the early 1980s!

Some of my classmates weren't even interested in music, and I was over here, listening to the weekly charts and - as soon as I finally got my first radio / tape player - record my favorite songs. And there were soooo many!

Just off the top of my head (and feel free to skip my random list)

Vangelis, Chariots of Fire
Soft Cell, Tainted Love
Chicago, Hard to say I'm sorry
Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder, Ebony and Ivory
Kim Wilde, Cambodia and View from a Bridge
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, I love Rock'n'Roll
ABBA, the Day before you came
Survivor, Eye of the Tiger
Olivia Newton-John, Physical
Phil Collins, You can't hurry Love
Styx, Mr Roboto
Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes, Up where we belong from an Officer and a Gentleman
Toto, Africa and Rosanna
Kajagoogoo, Too shy shy
Elton John, Blue Eyes, I'm still standing
Asia, Heat of the Moment
Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton, Islands in the Stream
Sergio Mendes, Never gonna let you go
Yazoo, Don't go
Dionne Warwick, Heartbreaker
Culture Club, Do you really want to hurt me, Karma Chameleon
Bonnie Tyler, Total Eclipse of the Heart
Eurythmics, Sweet Dreams
Irene Cara, What a Feeling from Flashdance
Michael Jackson, Thriller, Beat it, Billy Jean

I could go on and on. 

I like to believe that music-wise the years between 1982 and 84 were the very best. 

Not sure if it has to do with how young, excited and careless we were, or if the music was just of the highest quality. I mean, Elton John, Tina Turner, Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, so many excellent artists! 

Us girls were huge Flashdance fans! We would practice our dance moves, we tried to curl our hair, and of course we were wearing leg warmers. 

There were also significant sports events taking place. 

Swiss figure skater Denise Biellman became European Champion, boxer Mohammed Ali returned for one last Hurrah, the USA beat the UDSSR's butts at Olympic Hockey in 1980 (this is known as the Miracle on Ice), Italy won the 1982 soccer world championship, and my Italian classmates were so happy! The summer Olympics 1984 took place in Los Angeles, so Dad would let us watch sometimes early in the morning (Switzerland is nine hours ahead of the West Coast). 

Of course, a period of time largely depends on the people you spend it with.

These were my friends back then, I realize we were just about Colin's age!! Can you recognise me? 



And here we are at our reunion in 2019!



What did you (dis)like about the early 1980s? Any favorite songs?

Let me know in the comments below. Hope you come back for 10 fellow bloggers' posts over here.



Thursday, January 2: A new decade
Friday, January 3: Beautiful places
Monday, January 6: Is that chicken?
Tuesday, January 7: Show me the way
Wednesday, January 8: Naps
Thursday, January 9: Snow
Friday, January 10: Fri-Yay
Monday, January 13: Social Media
Tuesday, January 14: Cheddar
Wednesday, January 15: Dream on
Thursday, January 16: Popcorn
Friday, January 17: Snapshot
Monday, January 20: Last meal
Tuesday, January 21: Battle of the phones
Wednesday, January 22: Sign it in ink
Thursday, January 23: Spam
Friday, January 24: May I take your order?
Monday, January 27: A cocktail, if you will
Tuesday, January 28: Bring me to you
Wednesday, January 29: Oh, thank goodness!

Comments

  1. you look so cute! thanks for the music <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a firm believer that the 80s were the best decade in music. I like other decades as well, but the 80s overall... unmatched. It probably helps that I grew up in the 80s, but thinking back ... it's crazy the style of the music and how those in the younger generation of today still love it.

    Funny, though, if you think about it. 1980 was 40 years ago, making 1989 just over 30 years ago. The 80s hits are on "oldies" stations. When I was growing up, 50s and 60s music was "old." Crazy how things kind of go with that, right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.