Ultimate Blog Challenge - Day 11: Hero





Happy 11/11 and Veterans Day! 

Before we tackle Day 11 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge, let me answer the questions Jo-Anne, Andrew Janet,  Amrita and Cheryl asked on yesterday's post:


"Do you want to live to be 100?"

Depending on a few factors, why not. If I am somewhat healthy and independent, and if there are enough friends and family around. What good is it to be the only one left?


"You are a self-proclaimed Americaphile - would you go as far as to swap Switzerland d for the US?"


Actually I did. I lived in San Diego, CA, for a while. Too short a while though. 9/11 ruined it for me. 


"Where all of your grandparents alive during your life?"

I only got to meet my maternal grandparents. My Dad's Mom died from congestive heart failure when he was only 12 years old. My Dad was the oldest of four siblings, the youngest being six at the time. One can only imagine the emotional hardship they endured during their childhood. His Dad passed away shortly before Dad began dating Mom. She never met her FIL. 


"What college did you attend?" and "What did you study back then that helps you now most?"

Unlike my college's (which is called "Alte Kantonsschule Aarau") Nobel Price Winners, science was not my strong suit. My major was business. However I would not go as far as to say I still greatly benefit from what I learned about the GNP or free trade agreements back then. 

I do benefit from the languages I studied. German (mother tongue), English, French, Italian, some Spanish. Of course many years of practice helped improved these skills. 

Mostly though I think what still helps me today, are people skills. Of course they were not taught as such, but for someone like me who embraced campus life and connected with all kinds of people, it unlocked my flair for networking. 


It wasn't technically a question, but Lily claimed that Wayne Gretzky is her fellow countryman. She's absolutely right, he's Canadian. They named a Brantford freeway exit after him, and whenever we're in Toronto, we like to eat at his restaurant. 

And just like that, I found a brilliant transition to today's prompt. Day 11 is about childhood heroes, possibly comic book superheroes or other idols we had back then or today.

I wasn't much into comics, and I can frankly not remember ever having worshipped a fictional character. As a very young girl I was a huge ABBA fan, does that count? Actually I have a post scheduled about them. It gets published in less than 24 hours.

So I'll use this assignment to talk about my son's sports idols. 

Colin caught the ice hockey bug when he was two years old. He watched the playoffs with his Dad and never stopped asking questions. He wanted to learn everything about the players, the teams, the coaches, the rules, the results,...

2012 the first "Swiss Hockey Day" took place. The purpose of the event is to make ice hockey better known and more popular in Switzerland. Countless national league players will go back to the arena where they learned to skate and play, and everyday people, kids especially, get to meet them. Some organizations will let the kids and the big players mingle on the ice, others will arrange for a meet and greet with autograph / photo opportunities off ice. Either way, good times. 

Ours does a little bit of everything, and on top of that, they'll conduct the annual fundraising run, except it's not a run, it's a skate. Of course, right?



Colin's first idol was called Romano Lemm, pictured below. Hubby and I kept our distance while the two guys talked shop, so we can't exactly know what was said. Bottom line, the advice from the big guy to the little guy was "practice makes perfect".

Romano was later diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma (brain tumor) and took a sick leave. He did recover fully as far as I know, and he kept playing for a few years.



Colin was going to have many more unforgettable encounters with hockey stars. 2013 he was lucky enough to attend a one day hockey camp with Switzerland's best goalies and defensive players, among them Roman Josi who has been playing for the Nashville Predators for over ten years now, four of them as their captain. 2013 he was voted MVP of the World Championship in Stockholm, Sweden. 2020 was awarded the James Norris Memorial Trophy. 



Colin's third hero is Raphael Diaz who went through the same training (for the same club) some 20 years earlier. He was going to end up being drafted for the NHL, playing three seasons for the Montreal Canadians and one season each for the Vancouver Canucks, New York Rangers and Calgary Flames. However, Raphael wasn't always that successful. When he was about Colin's age, there was a time he never made the lineup. He got discouraged and confided in his coach that he was considering to quit.

Today that coach is one of Colin's teammate's Dad, and he told us what he told Raphael:

"You can't expect to play on the team just because you're a nice guy, which you are, don't get me wrong. However, you need to give me a reason. Make yourself indispensable. Show me what you've got, play your best hockey!"

Obviously this was the kick in the butt that Raphael needed. The picture below shows him upon his returning from the 2018 World Championship in Copenhagen, Denkmark. He was the Swiss National Team's captain, and his team made it to the finals. 



So I think Colin picked great guys to look up to. What they all have in common is they're super successful, and they're super nice, humble people.

Raphael grew up poor. His parents struggled to get him his hockey gear. Today, one of his passions apart from hockey is golf. Every summer he'll raise funds from his rich golf buddies and uses that money to invite the 10 year old kids from the area to a special treat: to spend an entire day playing, eating and talking to him and a few of his teammates. 

When us parents dropped off the excited kids, he said "before you leave, can I talk to you guys?"

What did he have to say? 

"Look, I understand this "hobby" can be draining. It requires a lot of time, effort and money. Can I just ask you to do whatever you can to enable your kids to keep playing. I have a secret financial stash that we can use. Believe me I know what it feels like. You're 14, 15, 16 years old, and every six months your feet will grow, and you'll need new skates. They're insanely expensive. So, just as I was saying. If things get tough financially, I can help. Just don't have your kid quit because of money issues."

I had to run to the bathroom for an ugly cry attack.



What do you think, Spiderman may be cool and all, but compared to Romano, Roman or Raphael?

Do you have a superhero in your life? Who is it and why?

Let me know below.



Comments

  1. This story is so inspiring! Thank you for introducing us to hockey and these three amazing young men who humbly encourage those coming up behind them. What true heroes are made of: humility, generosity and kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! So true about the time and expense commitment on the part of the parents. We did baseball with our son and our daughter was trying out for cheerleading. She made mascot one year and that was a lot. I can't imagine your years of hockey.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know zero about hockey but found this interesting

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible as soon as I had a chance to verify that you are not an anonymous user and/or a spammer.